Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys after 3 broken dana 20's in my 74 bronco I desided its time to step it up a bit. I have a np 205 that I want to use but am not to sure what it is I need to make it all work. Can anyone tell me what parts I need to do this swap? I have heard I will need to get a custom output shaft for the trans made but I find this hard to beleave. I'm sure there was some 70's truck out there that came with a C-4 np205 combo. Any help would be great I just broke the last one saturday and need to get this thing back together in a few weeks for the next mudrace. Sence I stuck in the 408 this thing eather gets 1'st place or it brakes. I need more 1'st and less brakes

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is that 205 a Ford unit so that the front driveline on the left side? I don't recall a 205 being used with a C-4. Try Advance Adapters; they have about everything. I assume you're using low range to mud race. Ratios are different: a Dana 20 is somewhere around 2.46 to 1 and a 205 is 1.95 to 1. 205's are HEAVY!!!!! Maybe a newer 208 (almost 3 to 1 reduction) would work.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
is your transfer case attaghed to the trany?........my 77 F250 has the 205 behind a C6 with a short tailstock using a short drive shaft to join them.......right from the factory. I yanked the 400 and droppedin a 466 and never had a problem with the 205.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
IIRC, the only transmissions to recieve the NP205 where the NP435, T-18, T-19 and the C-6.

I'd look at advance adapters, and maybe check with the guys at pirate4x4.com. Im sure it can be done, but Im leaning towards custom pieces being needed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Ya it is a mated setup. I was pretty sure that a c-4 never came out with a 205 behind it but was hoping I could figure out something. A 208 might also be an option but I figured sence I have a 205 already I would try that first. I know the reduction isn't as much in the 205 as my Dana 20 is but I think that might help me more then hurt me I'm already shifting out of first about as fast as I can. I'm also thinking about taking out the TCI manual valve body and sticking a stock type back in and seeing if that will soften up the shift enough to keep it from breaking (always breaks from 1'st to 2'nd shift). I guess I'll do some calling around today and see what I can come up with. I'm just so sick of this thing breaking that I need to find a solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts