Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so, I've been searching high and low on the internet for information about this, and I realize it's a frequently asked & answered question. In fact I've found a lot of helpful info on these forums alone. However, I am still slightly confused as to what EXACTLY it is I need to get this '78 302 block mounted up to a '63 Fairlane.

The car started off as a 200ci straight six, and as a result I have to start completely from scratch, so everything I know about this swap I have basically learned from pictures found on this forum and others.

What I SEEM to have learned from my research is that I will need three items:

1. Frame mounts. Very simple little L-shaped brackets that I should be able to fab up on my own no problem. The originals look like this:

2. The motor mounts themselves, from a 1963 Fairlane with a 260 v8. The parts I found on Rockauto look like this, for the left & right sides:

3. A top plate that I will also have to fabricate myself, in order to adapt the narrower motor mount bolt spacing of 260 engine blocks to the wider bolt spacing of later 302 blocks.

The two holes on the frame mount brackets bolt up to the frame of the car, the single stud on the motor mounts goes into the single hole on the top of the frame mount brackets, and the adapter plates for my wider bolt-spacing engine will bolt directly where the 2 holes are on the motor mounts... Is this all correct, and that's all I'm going to need?

By the way, if anybody here has exact dimensions they can provide of the frame mount bracket, that would be EXTREMELY helpful and I'd be forever in your debt (well, not exactly but I'd be VERY HAPPY! :D).

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I would say, you have it under control, except for not having the dimensions.

Well done sir.

I would help you, but I sold my motor mounts when I went to a Mustang II IFS.

Jet

·
Registered
136 Posts
those motor mounts will not work for the 63 set up. The frame mounts are correct, but is 1 of 4 pieces required. you also need the rubber mount, mount plate and top block plate. see pic for details (quick search on the net, found this picture)

these pics show top plates with 6" spacing

you will need the top block plate with 7" bolt spacing. 62-64 (221-289) have 6" bolt spacing and 65 - late model ford small bock (95? 302) have 7" bolt spacing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh man, I don't even know where I'm gonna get this stuff, haha. I wonder what the parts Rockauto is listing are for, then, 'cause they look totally different to me, even though they're listed as '63 260ci parts.

Wonder if I should just try and fab up something completely custom, not utilizing stock Fairlane motor mounts...

This is ridiculous, I'd have never thought it would be so much effort to swap an essentially stock engine in one of these things... Ain't got any Mustang parts availability, that's for sure!

·
Registered
136 Posts
most places use the same generic photo of engine mount. The 62-25 rubber mount is still available. It is specific for these Fairlanes (and Meteor). The 65 Hipo Mustang uses a simliar rubber mount. The Fairlane and Mustang both use the same top rubber doughnut and mounting through bolt to hold the assembly together. They are available at Mustang and Fairlane vendors. The top engine bracket (7") is also used for both the 65 Hipo Mustang and late 64 -65 Fairlane.

Unfortunately none of the brackets are reproduced (that I'm aware of). They do come up for sale. check ebay and post some want ads in some of the different Fairlane forums

once you have the engine mounts the swap is a breeze.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eh, I might just try making some simple brackets and adapting later Mustang-style mounts that use the whole horizontal thru-bolt setup. Shouldn't be too difficult, and the parts are readily available.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the frame mounts and motor mounts that John posted, then I took some 1/4 inch steel and made adapter plates. I drilled three holes in them. Two of them 6 inches apart, then another one an inch away. Worked perfect. I took pics but can't seem to find them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sixthree - Are you a member of the Fairlane club, i did see some mounts in a back issue of the club mag, for sale
If your not a member, you should be!
Would you like me to post over there that your looking for mounts & do you need complete?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Eh, I might just try making some simple brackets and adapting later Mustang-style mounts that use the whole horizontal thru-bolt setup. Shouldn't be too difficult, and the parts are readily available.

I do have the complete set up for sale in the classified section,might make it a little simpler for you.
I ended up making solid motor mounts for my 64 but was using them to hold in my 351 cleveland..
Tony

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/chassis-suspension/501093-64-fairlane-motor-mounts-complete-set.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, but actually, my Mustang mount idea is coming along quite nicely. It's a very straightforward setup, all I'm going to need are a couple bits of square tubing. It's unreal how well they're going to line up with this earlier frame.

Not to mention these mounts cost 4 bucks a pop! :tup:

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thanks, but actually, my Mustang mount idea is coming along quite nicely. It's a very straightforward setup, all I'm going to need are a couple bits of square tubing. It's unreal how well they're going to line up with this earlier frame.

Not to mention these mounts cost 4 bucks a pop! :tup:
I just offered that URL for those that don't have your fab skills... :tup:

Now you are taking photos and are planning to share your handiwork with the board, correct... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts