Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i recently bought a 70 falcon(early) model it was originally a 200 inline it has a column shifted c4. now my concern is that when im sitting idiling in park the shifter will drop down into reverse ive read that the detent plate is likely worn out along with all the bushings. havent taken it apart yet was wondering what else it could possibly be and where the hell can i find the parts to fix this? what other ford cars may interchange with these parts. thanks alot is my first post here.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Check the park pawl inside the transmission. You can get a feel of it under the car. Should take a little force to move it out of park.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry, don't know the answer to your question, but welcome to another '70 "X" body member. Mine was built 9-11-69. How about giving us some more info about your car, and some photos?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the replies gonna take the column out in a few days
and see whats going on with it and try and replace all worn out parts
before i decide to switch it over to a floor shift. And where can i find these parts at? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks :tup:

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check the park pawl inside the transmission. You can get a feel of it under the car. Should take a little force to move it out of park.
Watch out ,that happened to my 64 comet, c4 ten yrs back, I was adjusting the carb in the street, idle was a little too high, the sucker took off in reverse, down the block, hitting a transformer, with me hanging into the window.the park pawl was worn, and I was new to this car. Had rear quarter repair, trans rebuild, pissed off neighbors, no power for two days, . Live and learn. Nice straight falcon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help gonna look into that. As i was warming it up to back off the trailer it suddenly just dropped in reverse and rolled itself off luckily i had my hands on the steering wheel and foot on the brakes, would have had a dead bird in the driveway :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
When you take it apart almost all the parts you will need for the repairs you need can be found in a utility drawer...

most of the slop comes from people not fully pulling the shift lever back far enough to clear the stopping points and ... Oh you'll see when you get inside, It's not an impossible situation.

GL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts