Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I know this has been gone over a thousand times before but now I can't find any of the threads I was looking for.

My question is I bought a pair of hooker super comp 6134 non cermaic for my 65 fairlane. I am putting a 302 roller in it. From what I got before I thought the hooker headers were going to fit with no mods. They are hitting the shock towers by a little less than an inch an either side. So my question is do I take a ball peen hammer to it, do I cut the shock towers or try another type of header.

any tips on how to make em fit ?

thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have a 61 falcon, 302 with try y headers that needed only the smallest amount on massaging to clear the passenger side shock tower. im talkin less than 1/4 inch. i tried many headers and the try y fit the best. but this is a falcon.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
i wouldnt be taking the hammer to anything,when i buy headers i expect the things to fit,try another set...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just ordered the tri-y headers. hope they fit this time around. Its a tight fit with with only about 2 & 1/4 " to work with at the closest point. I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
244 Posts
On 2006-09-20 11:32, steharz wrote:
i wouldnt be taking the hammer to anything,when i buy headers i expect the things to fit,try another set...
i guess you never built an american falcon or fairlane. its tough finding exhuast for the early models that fit without "modifications"

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
As for the Supercomps....

You'll need to unbolt one motormount at a time, and lift that side of the engine up around an inch to get the header on.

The starter and clutch linkage (including ball) will also need removed.

Headers go in at an angle from underneath, so it helps to have the front of the car jacked up really high. Jacking the rear up some also helps.

Shock towers that have sagged inwards over the years can also be a problem. A Port-a-Power can positioned between them, and can be used to push them back to their original position. Undo the braces before doing this. 65-66 Mustangs are 33-1/2" between the tops of the front shocks. I'm not sure about others.

My guess, is that lifting each side of the engine an inch or so will allow the headers to be lifted into place.

Just use a jack (and a piece of wood against the oil pan to spread the load) to lift the engine.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
n20mike ,

I see what you are saying. We had the headers bolted on to the new engine and then pulled the old one out. then we tried to drop the engine, headers, and transmission in at the same time using a hoist.....no dice, not gonna work

I might try spreading the shock towers a bit somehow like you mentioned.

the tri-y headers I ordered are ceramic coated. say I did need to bend a pipe just a bit to make it fit. will I mess up the ceramic coating if I hammer it or if I heat it up with a torch then using a body spoon or something long and kinda round to hammer it down a bit. I don't really want to cut the shock towers and I don't want to give up and go with the old exhaust manifolds.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
On 2006-09-20 12:31, dnhracing wrote:
On 2006-09-20 11:32, steharz wrote:
i guess you never built an american falcon or fairlane. its tough finding exhuast for the early models that fit without "modifications"
no,i havent built an american falcon or fairlane,but,ive done alot of early australian falcons with tight bays.
what i meant was,i have had to cut and reshape headers to make them fit,its not that hard to do and you end up with a better result imo.
the headers on my 351w were made for a 302,no-one that i could find made a set for the 351 into the body im using,had to cut out the tubes on number 3 and 4 cylinders and move them to get the things to clear the steering box.
hope the next set fit better..

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The Hooker 6134's are made for a '62-'65 Fairlane and should fit.The headers aren't going to fit unless the motor is in the car and can't be installed prior to installing the engine. You'll have to jack the engine up as Mike said. If you want some fun try installing headers on a 351W in an early Falcon.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Whatever you do, don't beat the headers or shock towers period. I put a set of 6134s on my 302 in a 63 F'lane and they fit. The engine bay areas are the same. My car did not have power steering and Hooker posts a bunch of little exception #s that you have to look at to be sure you don't fall within those exceptions. Having said that, I remember that I had a couple of extra guys that held headers in place while we eased motor and trans into the bay. Go slow and you should be ok. If you are putting in after the fact, you will need to jack the car up or put on drive on ramps to get adequate clearance for aiming up in the zone. You might even have to use a combination of putting car on ramps and using the hoist to slightly lift motor to get them in position. Good luck.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will try again from underneath with the tri-ys. I figure better to go ceramic coated. I still have the 6314's if I need to try again....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Here's another unsolicted tip. Don't "glow" the headers by either running the motor too lean or too retarded because it will dull the hell out of the nice new shiny ceramic coating

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just in case anybody runs into this situation in the future.

The tri-y headers from dougs part # DOU-D662Y fit perfectly in my 65 fairlane between my new 302 and the shock towers. the only slight modification is I had to lower the power steering ram underneath by about 1" just by adding a spacer to the existing setup with longer screws.

the hooker #6134 didn't fit by about 1" on my car. just wasn't meant to be.

I decided to go with all new plumbing for the exhaust. I'm thinkin on a H pipe and glasspacks.

we are looking at finally firing this thing up on thurs. I'm keepin my fingers crossed that we remembered everything. I'll take some video and post it next weekend.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Got pictures of the Tri-Y's, both uninstalled and on the car?

I have looked for pictures of them and can't find any. I don't like all the wild curves and over-the-top pipes on the 6134s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts