Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Need some help with some motor ?,s

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  fordmanz 
I have used the Eagle stroker kits many times. They offer a comletely balanced kits that range from about $1100 to $2000 depending on what's components are in the kit. For a street 347 using a stock block, that will see some strip use, the lower priced kit will work great and be plenty strong enough. If serious power adders or serious RPM is the goal, then go for the steel crank, H beam rods ect found in the higher dollar kits. I would however avoid using the Keith Black pistons found in some of the cheaper kits and just get the optional SRP forged pistons. KB pistons require HUGE ring gaps and we have seen them fail in the past. (the valve reliefs are machined way to close to the edge of the pistons and this causes them to crack and collaps the top ring land) If anyone chooses to use the KB pistons, I would use the Total Seal gapless rings with them to keep the required HUGE top ring gap from pissing all the cylinder pressure in to the oil pan due to massive leak down. Seen it first hand on the dyno. On a typical high perf street 347 with KB pistons, the engine gained 37 hp by just swapping to the gapless rings. Personally, I would build a 351W and save the $$$ for great flowing heads ect. I see no advantage to building a 347 over a 351W unless engine compartment space was the problem. I recently installed a 351W into a 91 Lincoln LSC. The LSC ABS break booster had to be changed to the small diameter Mustang booster due to the additional width of the 351W. Situations like these are the only reason I would shy away from a 351W. However, it was about $1500 cheaper to build the 351W & change the brake booster than build a 347. Good luck, drive FAST!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.