Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a courier for a living and need a new car but basicly I need something 35+ MPG and reliable my problem is I dont know what do get I got a taurus now and like the size wish i could use a crown vic but I cant so does anyone know of a site where I can compare all cars made within the last 10 years or so as far as MPG and such and then I can go from there? If anyone knows something that may be good I need something reliable 3-6k will last 100k under severe conditions (meaning 6-10k miles per month) and parts are not to bad on me a Wagon of some type would be great thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well, I know that the Volvo 850 Wagon I have gets good mileage and has been rock solid reliable, over 300k since it was build in '94 - but that probably isn't the best idea for you, since they're kind of expensive to repair.

With the goals you've set (35mpg mostly) I would recommend an early 90's Accord. I have nothing against imports as far as daily drivers are concerned - if they werent good cars they wouldn't be completely dominating the US market.

Really though, with any car what it comes down to is maintenance - if you put 10k miles a month on your car, you need to be changing the oil twice a month. If you keep an engine up at every interval, it will give you years and miles and miles of reliable service. I don't drive that Volvo easily, and the auto tranny is all original (the engine was replaced due to a problem with putting oil in it, but it would have been trucking along just fine, as the "new" one is) It had 270,000 miles on the original engine, before the oil all escaped (whoops.)

A Nissan Sentra, Honda Accord, or similar car will get you 40MPG highway, and rock solid reliability with cheap repair costs.

If you're driving mostly highway miles, and with courier work I'd think you would be, the engine and oil will last much longer. Highway miles are tons easier on engines than stop and go traffic. A city car will read 100k on the odometer, but will have been running twice the time of a highway car with highway mileage, idling in traffic, parked, etc.

If you're willing to settle for less mileage (close to 30) I really like my volvo 850 *shameless plug. It has a lot of cargo room, is great on road trips, and is comfy in general. Drives really well for a 4000+ pound car. Parts just aren't cheap. We put a scrapyard "new" 90k mile engine in it for $800 IIRC. Though it takes premium, so you might not want to do that (30MPG on the highway though)

Like I said, a lot of cars properly maintained will make your goal of durability - but attaining the MPG you want is a job for a tiny-engined import. I love my Fords, but if the Toyotas and Hondas weren't good, they wouldn't be the #1 car producer in America.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAHAHHA good one rogue anyways Yeah a few guys at work just traded in their 300k + corollas and they were running great but wanted to get some money out of them so thinking of that maybe I would love a wagon but it seems corolla wagons and other importish wagons are hard to come by honestly I would LOVE a BMW or Volvo Wagon they are great cars but my 89 Taurus is getting 28 MPG now and since gas has gone up in price I have not gotten a raise so I need to do something I found a BUNCH of Kias and Hyundias for sale for pretty cheap or is there a reason anyone know of a site that can compare all these cars sorry about typo's my computer is acting up when I hit certian keys

·
Registered
521 Posts
when i was looking for a car i was checking out the TDI vw's because they got pretty good MPG.

also i always called my insurance company and asked for quotes on what my rate would be with "so and so" car and the vw's were cheaper in that regard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts