Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a mild 408W he shifts at 6200 in a 3100lb car. It runs 6.70's/6.80's in the 1/8th mile. Runs a 4.33 gear and 28x10.5 tires. has a C4 and a 8" converter.
This is his first race car so he was curious how many passes should he put on the motor, trans, and converter before he freshens/rebuilds them.
He has heard various opinions enough that he is confused.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Leakdown the motor every 200 passes. If the oil pressure stays at the same level all the time look at the bearings every 300 passes or so depending on how many passes a year. I like to check them at least every 2nd season but usually check them every winter.
Solid roller lifters are a bigger concern than anything else in the motor, not enough valvetrain control will kill them quick. Keep a close eye on valve lash.
C-4 will tell you by flaring more into 3rd gear that it needs to be redone. Currently have 300+ passes on my C-4 since I have been into it.
Converter will go a very long time as long as no junk gets into it. Have a lot, a lot of passes on my ATI converter and am not worried about it at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts