Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a mustang that has a Holley "Street Dominator" intake and had a edelbrock carb sitting on it(but im about to replace with a holley 750 vac.secondary),this is all on a 351C engine. guys, i need help with 2 things here,so here i go. first the easy one, how can i tell if this is the correct intake for my "2v" heads? im afraid that the guy i bought it from didnt know any better, and might have gotten the wrong intake(for 4v heads). can this be possible? would it fit on 2v heads if they are for 4v heads?
ok now the final thing, on this intake i have 4 holes that dont have bolts in them! theres the bolts that go on each side bolted to the heads at a slight angle,those are all on. the ones im talking about are going sraight down and they are 2 on each side of the carburator.the 2 on the left are almost underneath the carburator,and the 2 on the right are closer to the heads and are in between the 2 inner bolts that are angled going into the heads. i hope you guys understand which ones im talking about, if you need me to, ill try and get a picture. i would like to know if bolts need to go there and if so the size would help me out alot. thanks,and i will apreciate any information.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
In the old days, people used to put a cast iron 4 barrel intake on 2 barrel heads and pick up 40 hp with a 650 Holley and the intake. Now the 2 barrels have there own 4 barrel intake which is a better port match and runner length. My friend did that too his 2V motor. It sure woke it up ALOT. Couldn't afford an alum. 2V intake so got the cast iron 4V intake. I wouldnt worry about it, but thats me, I'm sure alot of Cleveland guys will thrash me on this, but if you have it, use it. It wont hurt anything.

Rick

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know which bolts you are talking about, and I have always ran with them in. never tried it without, so I'm not sure if/what it will hurt.

I would run the intake. You have it, and if you dont like the way the car runs after awhile, you can always change it then, and have what you want on it.

As for the port mis-match, I'm goign to run my Vapors intake that was cast for the 2v heads on my 4v headed race motor this year, at least for a little while and see how it works.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You do need to use those bolt holes. The holes in the head are threaded clear through to the lifter valley. If you don't use the bolts, there will be oil leaking out of the holes. This will be worse if you have a lot of blowby. I beleive they are 5/16-18. Not sure how long, but I know that the passenger sides will be longer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, i will try to find some 5/16-18 bolts. i wonder what the lenghts are though....... hey, do you guys think this is a good intake for the 351C?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I forgot those bolts went clear thru the head and into the lifter valley. Its been awhile since I even looked at mine all tore apart let alone thought about putting it back together.

As for knowing if that intake is good or not, I dont know, I have never ran one or even seen one. Someone else will know more about them.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I also have a Holley Street Dominator intake on my Cleveland. I have yet to run it yet. If the car runs fine with it on it. Then why change it. Yes, you do need the 4 bolts, I believe they are about 3.5" long, but it has been a while. I hope this helps.

Ben

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really think you should remove that intake and get the right one. I think you should then sell the Street Dominator to me.

By the way, I have a Funnel Web for two barrel heads I am not using.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did some checking over in the 335 Cleveland forum. Dan Jones, who is big into Panteras, said the Street Dominator has small ports. This is to aid with low RPM torque. He says the Street Dominator will work fine.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
GMayf47124,
Where is the 335 Cleveland forums? I have a lot of questions to ask about building a 351c twin turbo. So can u point me it the right direction. Thanks.

·
Subscriber
31 Posts
The street dominator intake is a single plane intake that was designed with small 2V ports. Holley designed this intake to be used with the 2V or the 4V heads, even though it was never designed with the larger 4V ports. This seemed to be a popular intake about 20 years ago. It is a single plane intake that was designed for good port velocity but moderate rpm (5500 rpm or so). I used this intake on a mild 2V head engine and it seemed to work well. I don't know how it would compare to a performer intake, but the weiand excelerator would be better for higher rpm. I would not swap this intake unless you decide to replace the failure prone stock valves and build it for higher rpm. Good luck, Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts