Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am currently in the process of restoring a 69 mustang mach 1 and have the option of running either a 351w H.O. out of an 80's ford f250 and a 351C with 2v heads that was made in the early 70's. both engines run but since i have both engines sitting on stands which one would be a better candidate for a decent build? im not looking to make 600 horsepower and alot of my spending money is going into the chassis of the car so i dont have a ton of money to spend on aftermarket heads or anything. im thinking of a roller rocker valve train, a nice compcam headers and a weiand stealth intake with a 600 cfm holley carb. so which motor would be a better build and have more bang for the buck?

·
Registered
316 Posts
For the best bang for your buck, I would say the Cleveland motor. Stock 2V heads will support decent horsepower. The 80's 351W heads, not so much so. Which the usual upgrades you mentioned (aluminium intake, 4 barrel carb, camshaft, headers), the 351C will make your '69 run good.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Nothing like the sound of a Cleveland but then either engine would be a decent build with the right parts. You can go to flat tops, shave the W heads and get decent compression. They are still just 302 heads though.

HO doesn't mean much of anything for that era 351W engine. I like those though. I had the EFI 351W in my 93 Bronco. It ran pretty good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts