Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went home this weekend to do my head swap, and when I pulled my heads I found that 2 pistons had broken ring lands with an inch and a half of top ring showing on each. I didn't want to run it that way because I don't want to pay for a tow all the way back to Houston if it breaks up here. My questions are:
1 - Where is the best place to buy a 393 crank?
2 - Does the 393 use stock shape 302 pistons or are they modified?
3 - What else do I need to do the swap from a 289 besides distributer and intake? Are the front cover and flexplate/balancer the same?
Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like he might be swapping in a complete 393, do you have a 351 block hidding somewhere? In that case yes the front cover, balancer and flywheel will work. If you have P/S and or A/C on the 289 the brackets won't fit a 351 block.

Try www.flatlanderracing.com for stroker kits. I think it depends on which rod you use to use the stock 302 pistons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wdflarity on 3/19/02 11:03am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am swapping to a 351 if I dont need to many parts. I do have P/S and A/C. So, all that I need is an intake, distributer, oilpan, and brackets? That sound too simple. Please let me know if I need any thing else. I have one weekend to drop the block off at the shop, and a 4 day weekend to put it in.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Oil pump, pump shaft, slightly modified exhaust(cut crossover and 1 1/2"-2" added to "H" pipe width for the wider 351W head spacing, 392 crank, 5.956" stock length/journal rods(even H-beams), regular 302 pistons of any dome/dish configuration you want, and block(should need some clearancing on bore bottoms and near the oil pump mounting pad). Longer pushrods will be needed too.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last question: I have a set of tri-Ys now. They clear my transmission and my floor boads by more than an inch in any direction. The 351 deck is 1" higher right? So I am guessing that the headers will fit. How much of an angle will the extra 1" mean to the clearance to the motor mounts? I don't know if that made ant sense, but I really don't want to spend more money on new headers. Does any one know if they will work?
Thanks for the replies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts