Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shop who will convert an offset 8.8 diff from a '93 Explorer for my 63 convertible. Can someone reply with the mounting location for the new spring perches and the angle for the pig? I am running a 302 with a C4. Thx.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tim,
I have the same rear end in my 63 2 dr sedan. The PO had it cut to 55 3/4" out side of drum to drum. The spring plates are 43" same as stock 63.I am running a 235/60/15 tire on the back with no rub. It would be a good idea to set the rear end back about 1/2 to 3/4" so you will have a little more clearence for front tire tred to front of wheel opening.

Butch Evans (Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Tim also dont forget that there is one side longer than the other, so you maybe able to cut the long side to the same length as the short side to be at the width needed, and that way just use 2 short axles instead of a long and short. Not for sure of the angle of the dangle, but i think rule of thumb is 3.5 - 5 degrees depending on application....

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Your pinion angle is set by your driveline angle (engine/trans angle). Your pinion should be parallel under typical load, so if the trans output is -4°, the pinion should be +4° to be parallel with it. Since this is a leaf-spring application, the pinion angle will change under load, and typical is to lower the pinion -1 to 2° for street cars, and -2 to 4° for drag cars so it is parallel under typical load, but your results may vary due to a bunch of factors.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I think the most simple method would be to use the OEM assembly angle that will be found in that years SHOP MANUAL/Specifications. You find and lock the correct angle and weld the spring perches to the housing tubes (rear suspension @ proper trim/ride height).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts