Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a set of spider gears that are 28 spline for a Limited Slip 8.8. If they are for an independent that would be great but if not I can have them machined for my usage. The most likely place they would be is in a Ranger with an 8.8.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I need a set of spider gears that are 28 spline for a Limited Slip 8.8. If they are for an independent that would be great but if not I can have them machined for my usage. The most likely place they would be is in a Ranger with an 8.8.
the yard or the Ford parts counter is a good place to look . new price might be high or reasonable . never know till

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the yard or the Ford parts counter is a good place to look . new price might be high or reasonable . never know till
I tried my local Ford dealer & they are worthless. I know a guy in CA that I sent a message to. Hopefully he will produce some part numbers & locations that have what I need.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Uh, I'm confused. I thought the IRS used 3/4" pinion gear (spider) shafts and the Ranger 8.8 (that means 4.0L only) used 7/8"? I have a few Trac Loks laying around, and I think you need the "round-nose" 28-spline unit, and not the "square nose" 28. Does that sound right? Post a pic to compare with. If it's one I don't need, I'll pull the gears for you (or sell the whole thing) a lot cheaper than Yukon sets, but used of course. ;) There's always a catch.

David

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Need Spyder Gears

Uh, I'm confused. I thought the IRS used 3/4" pinion gear (spider) shafts and the Ranger 8.8 (that means 4.0L only) used 7/8"? I have a few Trac Loks laying around, and I think you need the "round-nose" 28-spline unit, and not the "square nose" 28. Does that sound right? Post a pic to compare with. If it's one I don't need, I'll pull the gears for you (or sell the whole thing) a lot cheaper than Yukon sets, but used of course. ;) There's always a catch.

David
Ok I will try to clarify. An 8.8 is an 8.8 for the most part. The Ranger is the only vehicle I know of on the truck side of life that has 28 spline axles with exception of the performance 4x4 version. All other trucks have 31 spline. I pulled my Limited Slip from an Explorer so it is set up for 31 spline.

I could swap out to 31 spline inner CV joints but it would do me no good as the outers would still be 28 (in the hub). It is also a fairly expensive conversion to make. The IRS has a small groove in it for the circlip on the end of the CV (spyder gear). This groove can be machined into any set from a solid axle carrier.

I have never read anything about the D being different on the nose end of the gears BUT this does not mean it not so. When I was doing homework I was more looking at doing the entire swap as a unit with perhaps machining the groove in I need. I will pull a gear & post pics.

I found plenty of 8.8 rears under Rangers at the yard from 4 cyl up. I had heard the 4 cyl trucks were 7.5 but it seemed like a crap shoot when I crawled under them. None had the Limited Slip & all had same gears I am replacing (3.08).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
28 slpine Mustang 8.8
All cars with exception of the Cobra are 28 spline. Limited Slip & Open diffs have different spyder gears. I currently have an Open in my IRS & am upgrading to Limited Slip. Limited Slip was very rare in the 8.8 IRS. Super Coupe only as I understand it. One can either buy an aftermarket unit or modify 1 out of another vehicle for usage in the IRS. They put Limited Slips in some police cars but again not common. The most common place to find 1 that I have found is the Explorer BUT the Explorer is 31 spline.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I see - you want IRS gears, but they are rare. So you're looking for the next-best more common Ranger (or other tube-axle 28-spline 8.8 Trac Lok) gears you can modify for the IRS. OK, I thought you were saying Rangers had IRS-ready spiders. I'll take a look, but verify you need 3/4" cross shaft (pin).

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts