Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need help making my mind up, i have a friend that insists that i need a better fuel pump(holley,edelbrock). the engine is a 351C with 2v heads, it has a 750 vac. seondary carb and a holley "street dominator" intake. i currently have a stock fuel pump, should i upgrade?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
As long as what you have is working properly ... I think you are fine.

If you were into a big 4V Screamer Engine ... Maybe then you would

My Two Cents

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it does work properly. i want the engine to have some balls, so ive been changing a couple of simple things(carb,intake,cam,etc). oh yeah, it has a 268 comp cam. so guys,will the fuel pump upgrade make a difference?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you add an electric pump, mount it as close to the gas tank as you can. Electric pumps push better than they pull. I'd use it to supply the mechanical pump and let the mechanical pump act as the pressure regulator.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Keep in mind ... Your fuel pump won't add any "power" ... All the fuel pump does is keep the carb bowls full of fuel.

Your stock fuel pump can either do that ... or it can't. If it can do it ... Then there is nothing to be gained by changing at this time.

If having an $80.00 to $200.00 fuel pump will make you feel better about the build and you have the bucks, go for it ...

But if your factory $15.00 fuel pump will do the job (at least for now), I'd consider spending the $80.00 to $200.00 elsewhere

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If you run at wide open throttle and start to "cut out" due to lack of fuel .. you know the fuel pump isn't keeping up.

that's about it in a nutshell

·
Registered
398 Posts
Consistent fuel pressure is one of the basic keys to getting a carb tuned, without it and tuning becomes difficult to say the least.

I've got a setup similar to yours, except with a 700 DP. Found out that my fuel pressure at WOT was "0" with the stock pump.

Went with a mechanical high volume pump and no trouble since. Electric pumps are more trouble than they're worth on a mild engine, and there is no pressure regulator in the mechanical pump to regulate pressure put out by the electric. With an electric pump inline with the mechanical pump, which ever one flows the most will be doing all the work, and the other will just be allowing fuel to pass through.

Good luck!

Greg P

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
For what it's worth ...

On my 351C I'm running a mechanical Holley 80gph pump ...

However my engine is a 4V designed to run at 5,000 to 7,000 RPM and produce huge HP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts