Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright experience, I need this cover. I've seen it called many things (flywheel dust cover, inspection cover) and I can't figure out which what the actual name it is. It's the lower front cover on the tranny right behind the oil pan. Fairly certain it is the original transmission bolted to a 352. "Cruise o matic" with the green dot on the shift, but I also read that these transmissions have many different names that are confusing me a bit (FMX, C4, Ford o matic, etc). If anyone can tell me where I can get one, has one that I can buy, and how to properly identify what I have it would be much appreciated. Again, i'm a newbie to this so I appreciate patience. Thank you much in advance. I'm also still waiting for my shop manual to be delivered.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What info do you have for your car? Looks like your 352/Cruisomatic might be available at macsautoparts.com. I did a search for Cruise O Matic Inspection cover and came up with several options. Macs has one listed for a T Bird. Check your local salvage yard that has old parts. Probably alot of guys here who have an old one laying around in their parts bins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gurney. I looked at the one on Mac's as you suggested. My door plate indicates "4" in the trans block. Is it safe to say that the same one for the Thunderbird would fit the Galaxie? I sure can't find one anywhere else.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it is a FE mtor the Cruise O Matic is attached to I would imagine they would be the same for a TBird or Galaxie. But that trans came on 289/302. The one on their website doesnt say what engine the inspection plate fits. A phone call or maybe someone else here knows if the inspection plates are diff from Cruise O Matics for the small block to the FE. I know the picture looks like the one off my 352FE Cruise O in my Galaxie.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
No matter which trans it ends-up being, the small block and FE versions are different bellhousings and different covers.

David

·
Registered
977 Posts
Go to a welding supply and get a piece 1/32 thick .24''x6'' metal ,cut it to fit . drill holes ,bolt it on..That what I did YEARS AGO on my 64 ford 1ton..

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Go to a welding supply and get a piece 1/32 thick .24''x6'' metal ,cut it to fit . drill holes ,bolt it on..That what I did YEARS AGO on my 64 ford 1ton..
True. Use some cardboard to trace the shape and hole locations and whip it out. Even a cut-out of an old fender, street sign ;) or other sheet metal. It's only a dust and water splash cover, but good to have to help the front seal last longer. Put a little dink in the bottom with a chisel or screwdriver tip to let water or fluid drain out the bottom. Nobody will ever know it's not factory. I'll post a pic of a hand-made one with the dinks when my camera recharges.

David

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
OK, here are the pics I promised. Be sure the plate tucks under the block plate if there are raised areas for that. Some have them and some don't. I used an old sign that said PARKING FOR CORVETTES ONLY. Just kidding, but that would have been fun.

David

Cut from aluminum with snips and drilled:

Here's the drain bulge made with two 'dinks' from a screwdriver blade:

Edge shot of the drain. It doesn't have to be like this - no rocket science here:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts