Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where to get this missing rubber cover. I have some for the floor holes, but this one is bigger. Has anyone replaced these? If so where do you get them. Also, is it possible there is no cover for this hole? It is located on the passenger side firewall, engine bay side.
thanks

JIM
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Grey
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't think there is a cover for that hole. I don't have one on my car and I don't recall ever seeing any on the junkyard cars I've seen.

Wouldn't be a bad idea though as it would keep sand and small debris out of there. Occasionally I stick a narrow vacuum nozzle in there just to keep it free from debris. Maybe I'm just way too anal or something.....

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I don't think there is a cover for that hole. I don't have one on my car and I don't recall ever seeing any on the junkyard cars I've seen.

Wouldn't be a bad idea though as it would keep sand and small debris out of there. Occasionally I stick a narrow vacuum nozzle in there just to keep it free from debris. Maybe I'm just way too anal or something.....
+1,

That's the access hole for the body mount. There is no access to the interior as the brace is welded to the floor exterior structure and these never came with a cover/plug. The convertible 3rd gen (65-68) car has one mount here whilst the 2 & 4 door models have two such holes as two mounts are in the forward corners of the body shell.

Cheers

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you two. Glad to know I am not missing something there. Another question though, without starting another thread. Have any of you replaced the rubber around the radiator side pieces? It is put on with staples right through the sheet metal piece. Any ideas how I can replace,
Rectangle Grey Road surface Asphalt Wood
Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Wood Tints and shades
what rubber I can use?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Thanks you two. Glad to know I am not missing something there. Another question though, without starting another thread. Have any of you replaced the rubber around the radiator side pieces? It is put on with staples right through the sheet metal piece. Any ideas how I can replace, View attachment 172504 View attachment 172505 what rubber I can use?
Hello Jim4,

So that's the side shield for a small block radiator. I have never replaced those because all our Ford are FE's. However I do seem to recall those being offered when I was looking up replacements for the FE equipped cars. So it may behoove you to have a look through the usual sources like Dennis Carpenter, Macs and Obsolete Auto first. I can't say how the staples would be handled but on window felts that mount on the interior panel they usually provide new staples that you can manipulate into the old original holes if you wanted to go that route. However I just use soft aircraft solid rivets for baffling to install things like this and do not bother with staples. You could just nut and bolt it together as well if there is room.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Jim4,

So that's the side shield for a small block radiator. I have never replaced those because all our Ford are FE's. However I do seem to recall those being offered when I was looking up replacements for the FE equipped cars. So it may behoove you to have a look through the usual sources like Dennis Carpenter, Macs and Obsolete Auto first. I can't say how the staples would be handled but on window felts that mount on the interior panel they usually provide new staples that you can manipulate into the old original holes if you wanted to go that route. However I just use soft aircraft solid rivets for baffling to install things like this and do not bother with staples. You could just nut and bolt it together as well if there is room.

Just thoughts.

Cheers
I saw the small block replacement too. But I also saw them for FE’s with and without A/C. So not really sure if they go on my car or not. What I think I know is that they deflect wind into the radiator And that should be a good thing to keep temps lower. Also my car has the holes in the radiator frame for them, so I think they were there originally! Maybe! Anything I can do to keep the temps in the happy range is a good thing. My radiator is a two row core (I can’t believe they put that there for an FE), but it is original. I have also asked many and they say “yes they put two row cores in these cars“. Until I get it recored, anything to help will be good. I guess during the summer here in VA, I won’t drive it too much ( getting stuck in traffic is bad). Spring and fall, no problems.
thanks again Desert!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I agree with DesertXL that those appear to be for the small block radiator. It looks exactly the ones I replaced years ago that were stapled in.

When I switched to a big block radiator I replaced those with the correct seals which were held in place with plastic push pins. According to an old 2015 Dennis Carpenter catalog the part number for the '66 big block is C5AZ-8349-A and measures 1-5/8" x 12-1/2".

Pictured below is the one for my '67 which attaches directly to the radiator support.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
736 Posts
You're welcome. Just double check my information to make sure I'm correct. Wouldn't want to steer you wrong and you end up buying the incorrect item.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts