Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the deal, my wife saw a 79' Futura that she wanted that was in fair condition. It was owned by a 88 year old man who was the second owner and it only had 54k on it. Needless to say I paid the man and trailered it home and have been piecing it together since then. After a tune up and fixing a few bad wires and vacume hose leaks i have the motor running like a top now and have no complaints there. However, something in the trans is bad and not sure what, I dont feel like paying 250 just find out whats wrong with it.

Car has a 200 in line 6 with a floor shift C4 trans. A guy at another shop several towns away had a great deal on a completely rebuilt C4 for a 71' 302 mustang column shift.

Now for the questions lol. I know the bell housing is different as far as the starter location. I have the torque converters, flex plates, flywheels, shift linkage, and starters for both trans. I was wondering if i could just the bolt the new one in or if i have to swap the bell housing and everything over. I would like to be able to use the complete new set up because I know the converter is good, where as I'm not sure about my original, all though it wasn't acting like a converter problem.

I've tried researching it, but apparently no has put info up on this particular swap yet, any info would be GREAT guys. Also, im going to try and do this later today, so quick answers would be much appreciated Thanks.

so for the long post, just wanted to include as much info as I could think of at the time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ok, so here is the deal, my wife saw a 79' Futura that she wanted that was in fair condition. It was owned by a 88 year old man who was the second owner and it only had 54k on it. Needless to say I paid the man and trailered it home and have been piecing it together since then. After a tune up and fixing a few bad wires and vacume hose leaks i have the motor running like a top now and have no complaints there. However, something in the trans is bad and not sure what, I dont feel like paying 250 just find out whats wrong with it.

Car has a 200 in line 6 with a floor shift C4 trans. A guy at another shop several towns away had a great deal on a completely rebuilt C4 for a 71' 302 mustang column shift.

Now for the questions lol. I know the bell housing is different as far as the starter location. I have the torque converters, flex plates, flywheels, shift linkage, and starters for both trans. I was wondering if i could just the bolt the new one in or if i have to swap the bell housing and everything over. I would like to be able to use the complete new set up because I know the converter is good, where as I'm not sure about my original, all though it wasn't acting like a converter problem.

I've tried researching it, but apparently no has put info up on this particular swap yet, any info would be GREAT guys. Also, im going to try and do this later today, so quick answers would be much appreciated Thanks.

so for the long post, just wanted to include as much info as I could think of at the time.
Check the teeth on the flx plate if both have 164 the converter will interchange, If both are 157 they will interchange. If one had the large and one has the small a new converter should be bought! It is not a good idea to use the new tranny with an old contaminated converter . You will need the bell off the 6 to fit your block !

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
You need to Bolt the C-4 he has to the BELL-HOUSING you have on your tranny, then make sure the torque converter fits the new tranny then instal it and go...
\
The V-8 bell will not fit your engine, and I don't think the converter will either, that's why you need your converter for and bell for the swap.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You will need to use YOUR bell, YOUR flexplate, YOUR starter, YOUR blockplate, and YOUR linkage with HIS transmission. You will need to REPLACE YOUR converter since your old converter is questionable. You CANNOT use HIS bell, HIS flexplate, HIS starter, HIS blockplate, HIS linkage, nor HIS converter.

In addition, you MAY need to swap YOUR manual control lever into HIS transmission.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Well, everyone has pretty-much covered it. I will repeat that you do not want to use an old torque converter with a new tranny. You can have yours cut open, flushed, inspected and reassembled for maybe $50-75 locally, or purchase a remanufactured unit.

If going with a ready-to-go reman, you need an F30 converter, which is a 10" unit, with a 26-spline input, with a mounted 132-tooth ring gear. Original converters are stamped "BT" on the body near the hub. Fresh remans are around $100-120.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts