Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck just started making the characteristic sound of a scored main bearing, so I am going to have to either rebuild or replace my ole 300 6 motor. How hard is it to rebuild one yourself? I have never done any major motor work before, but I can do anything with proper instructions. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys, someone can just tell me what's involved with rebuilding a motor, you don't even have to have experiece with rebuilding my specific motor!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, if you are going to do a motor, the 300 is pretty easy to learn on. You should have someone that knows motors help you at the machine shop - so you don't spend too much money, or get something back that is junk. If the motor has less than say 120,000 on the clock, you can probably re-use the pistons, which will save money. You should get a new oil pump and driveshaft for sure, and new water pump, belts, hoses, possibly radiator. Spend the money on a quality torque wrench, and confirm with the machine shop proper torque for rod, main, and head bolts. Check all torque twice, and use a lubricant on the bolts to acheive the proper torque. Beware that the 300 has non-adjustable rockers, so if the head or the block are shaved at all, you will need shims to put under the rocker pedastal or you will have problems. Ask the machine shop about this part, and they can walk you through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts