Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my last stupid question for awhile, I promise.

Let me condense three threads:

I fried my charging harness/hardware.

Opted to get a 3g alternator to clean up and remove hassle (Found an alt and going to install this weekend).

Now I have the issue with homebrew wiring. The previous owner used a lot of homebrew wiring. He has the negative off the battery (Side post battery, will be swapping it out for top post battery and new terminals...) running to the left side of the solenoid and the positive off the battery leading to the right (and off the same solenoid post to the starter).

I plan on scrapping all of it this weekend and hooking new top post friendly positive bat cable to left side and leaving the starter off the right and re-grounding the new negative terminal to the engine block, take it back to a manageable diagram and loom it.

This leads to my two questions, the first out of curiosity and the second for practical use.

1) What was the logic in the first setup? It ran but seems like a time bomb waiting to short out.

2) Where is the proper ground for a 67 on the engine? I did some digging but can't find the factory ground for this.

If needed I can draw a quick diagram to show how it was rigged before and how I want to return it, I know it may be a bit confusing the way I explained it.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Why? I'm not sure I understand, as it seems you would have a direct short to ground through the starter relay (solenoid). If you're really that curious - post that sketch.

I don't know what engine you have, but the block ground for the battery cable is usually on the side of the block at the front just above the oil pan and occasionally on a starter mounting bolt. The second ground for the ignition and instruments (usually a braided strap type) is at the rear of the right cylinder head to the firewall. Your service manual will show the original location for your model and engine, and how the other wires route around as well.

There are several ground straps on your car, and a factory wiring schematic will tell you where to look to verify they are all still intact and clean. Many odd gremlins appear when those grounds are compromised.

David

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is the whole wiring system been compromised by home brewing? Or just under the hood? If it is mostly under the hood than it unplugs from the main wiring harness usually at different locations near brake booster or heater box, what I did on my galaxie was took the whole wiring system out, Including that under the dash, unrapped it all, bought new wire of many different colors and gauges and went wire by wire making a new loom, which was good as it got rid of some problematic fusable links, i know this sounds hard but is more time consuming than anything...nothing is impossible you will find out when starting projects, another nice thing to buy is these white looking wraps that go around the wire and help to identify where they go, they say like ignition, radio, lights, etc i think they were called wiring labels? ....again it probably depends on the depth of the problem you have with wiring......Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It didn't occur to me that it would be to ground off the Solenoid as everything I look at has a Hot side and a starter side. I was going to rewire to specs due to putting a 3g alt in. I assume I can wire the (+) and to the right still and lead the Alt Mega Fuse line to the same side with no problems?

The wiring is good to the dash. I already chased all of that. It is just the charging system that went.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
The starter relay wasn't installed upside down by any chance?

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Nope. It is on straight. Just never heard of using it as a ground point before.
it would not be used as a ground point..

negative from battery to bolt on block , for examle.. water pump..altinator bracket..basicly any where on block....
then a ground strap from block/intake manifold to fire wall and frame....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts