Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Subscriber
329 Posts
Being an old fart and living in same house for 16 years(!) now I have always tried to be respectful of the neighbors especially those whose bedrooms are 20 feet form my garage. I live in an old area (for California) where the houses are on little 30 X 100 lots, so close together that I can touch the neighbors house with a wiper blade.

To keep my sanity and their's I had the big 50 series Flow Masters/ SUV big block 3", 17" case with 18" long DynoMax bullets as reasonators at the tailpipe exiting at the stock location. It was still pretty loud as I have 3.5" collectors through a 3.5" x-pipe. The problem was that I could run 2.5 tenths faster with the mufflers off after the x-pipe: low 10.60's vs high 10.80's which is aggravating. I swapped in a set of MagnaFlow 3" mufflers and got my 2.5 tenths back with full exhaust but the penalty is 10 DB at idle ( I checked with a Radio Shack DB meter) ad an unbeliveable reasonance at 2000 rpm. I'm going to try the DynoMax Ultra flows next.

Yes, I want my cake and eat too as it were with a "quiet" system that doesn't slow me down.

This is on a 580" BBF, so its not like I'm trying too be loud, that takes care of itself.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
People around me, call the cops for dogs barking!
well thats me out for shifting into your neighbourhood,ive got 5 dogs and 3 loud bent 8s.
but i dont let my dogs out before 9am and they are in by 7pm,as for the cars,suppose im lucky my neighbours are cool with the rumble,some even appreciate it.
the key for me is ''there is a time and a place'' for everything and that works where i live

·
Registered
47 Posts
Everytime someone I know comes over with a noisey car, they rev the crap out of it, just for kicks. If you don't like noise, move to the county!!!
I have friends that did the same thing when I lived in town. People would complain about the noise when I was trying to be respectful and quiet. So if they are going to complain, I'll give them something to complain about. Like driving the 90GT (headers, 2.5 off road X pipe, flowmaster 40's with NO tips or dumps) or the 68 (351w headers, flowmaster 40's with no tips or dumps) to work at 5 a.m. or have my friends be noisy when they come over.

Then I got a "junk car" notice in the mail saying they would tow away my 68. It had current registration and inspection, it just doesn't look very nice. I went to city hall and told them that if they want to send me a "junk car" notice for my car just because it's in primer, they can either pay for me a paint job or stick it somewhere. Shortly after, I moved out here, where I can do burnouts at will in front of my house and no one says anything.

I like it out here in the country, I would recommend it to any of you.

/end rant

·
Registered
718 Posts
i have burned out Edelbrock RPM mufflers from the 1990's on my 392W and even though its "LOUD" "WHAT SPEAK UP" it still gets drowned out by Harleys , and i did get a Nusince notice and abandoned car notice from the city one time cause the car was about 4 or 5 different colors so i went to PEP BOYS and got a bunch of cans of GRAY engine paint and painted the car in the street and of course the neighbors freaked but no one ever bothered after that and they only complained about the looks of the car never the "LOUD" exhaust and those Edelbrock mufflers or only just barely quieter than uncaps , 2.5 from the collector back ! can you hear me now ?!?!?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
During the winter i drove a little Toyota truck to school for about 2 weeks since my mustang doesn't have heat, the neighbors noticed and asked why they haven't heard my car at 630 in the morning. Good job jba exhaust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replacing 67' Mustang 200 manifold

Hello gentleman. TGIF!

I need to replace the exhaust manifold on my 67' mustang 6 cylinder. I hear the 68' manifold has larger ports and will deliver better performance.
Additionally; are the knock-off manifolds being sold by the online mustang folks any good?

Thanks for your assistance!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts