Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the B&M pro ratchet shifter in my 65 comet and I was just going to bypass the neutral safety switch but now that I'm looking through the wiring diagram it looks like I might interfere with more than just the NSS if I do that. Can I just twist the signal wires together to bypass the NSS or am I screwing myself? And is the switch itself in the column or on the side of the transmission? I just want to run it by someone before I do something stupid> Thank you very much.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I'm putting the B&M pro ratchet shifter in my 65 comet and I was just going to bypass the neutral safety switch but now that I'm looking through the wiring diagram it looks like I might interfere with more than just the NSS if I do that. Can I just twist the signal wires together to bypass the NSS or am I screwing myself? And is the switch itself in the column or on the side of the transmission? I just want to run it by someone before I do something stupid> Thank you very much.
N wires you can tie , other set is for the back up lights , not signal

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I haven't run one in ages. You have to remove it for the B & M linkage bracket to clamp onto the transmission detent shaft. You can jumper the wires all the way up where the switch harness plugs in at the firewall.

Just a note of caution. Whenever you crank the engine have one foot firmly on the brake. I had a situation once where my shifter linkage got loose and the car was in reverse and not park. Fortunately I have always cranked it with one foot on the gas and one on the brake since I removed the safety switch. The 4500 stall converter also helped prevent the car from trying to jump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts