Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..........when working on your car. The last few days I've been !modding my Formula to put it back to stock. I plan to sell it next spring and order up my Z06.

I planned out exactly how much I wanted to do each day but I always did a bit more just so I could get ahead of schedule.

The last two days I reinstalled my manifolds after removing the headers last week. I bolted up the exhaust, double checked everything went in and fired it up. It didn't start the first time that should've been a clue. I tried again and it fired up. I was looking at the oil pressure gauge only to find that it wasn't moving up. This all happened in a span of a few seconds.

I realized what had happen and quickly shut the car off...............&%$*#[email protected]^..................you needed to remove the oil filter on my car to bolt the exhaust up to the manifolds. I got out of the car only to find a nice puddle of oil on the ground from running it few seconds without the filter in place.

It was fun cleaning up that mess.............NOT!!!!!!! I put the filter back and started it again and it's fine, ran it for 10 minutes no issues. It was only a few seconds so I'm not too worried about it.

I know I won't do that again anytime soon if ever.

Tony

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Are you sure that ... mistake ... wasn't a senior moment? The best thing about getting older is selective memory.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL......no just my haste to get the car running again after doing all the work again. I was planning it out for the winter but screw that I'm staying in the house.

I did most of my mods to the car during the winter while stored the last few years, my hands and feet didn't like it too much.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Did the same thing last season when I changed my oil, forgot to put the filter back on, but let it run for about 10 seconds, what a mess!!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
HA ha ha ha ha! I didn't do that but I did leave out the Oil Pressure Sending unit on the Caddy 399 engine when I was priming it in my garage on the engine stand.... When the oil pump picked up and pumped the oil it shot all the way to the ceiling before I could let go of the Dewalt trigger.... ha ha ha...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The good thing is you had awareness of what was happening ...

You didn't need to wait for a clattering engine to tell you there was a problem ...

Good Job.

Been There and Done that sort of thing

Mine was more like ... Changing the oil ... had the rubber seal ring from the filter I removed stick to the block ... spun on the new filter and the "double gasket" I had unknowingly created was not sealing anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 9/29/06 8:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Then there was the time I replaced my oil pump, 4 hours later, all finished, look at my bench, "say, that looks like an oil pump there, must be the old one...... Well, it wasn't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 9/29/06 9:18am ]</font>

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I made a huge mess under mine once too. I swear I was one of the 3 stooges or something. First it was the fuel filter on the fuel pump. In order for me to get a grip on it i had to remove the oil filter. when it was back together i started the car, shut it off and when I looked under the hood gas was all over the ground. So I retake everything off and I had 2 gaskets on there. Back together, start it, look and oil is everywhere. The filter had fell over and the gasket fell out I think is what it was when it fell over when i took the fuel canister off. What ever and how ever, it all had to do with gaskets and I had a huge oil and gas slick under the car by the time I got done being stupid.

Deb

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not oil, but after installing disk brakes and rebuilding the front end I did not go back and retorque the bolts. So on the way home from work the bottom caliper mounting bolt came out. Sounded REAL good as it got cought between the dust shield and the rotor. Sounded even better when I stop to find out what the sound was. No damage other than the beating I gave myself for being "in a rush", I call it H.U.A.S.(Head Up A** Syndrome) It affects myself from time to time. Luckly not yet during an oil change.

·
Registered
804 Posts
On 2006-09-28 18:16, psivory wrote:
Then there was the time I replaced my oil pump, 4 hours later, all finished, look at my bench, "say, that looks like an oil pump there, must be the old one...... Well, it wasn't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 9/29/06 9:18am ]</font>
PRICELESS...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
After I saw the pump on the bench, I carefully put everything down and walked out of the garage. LOL,
the good part was that it only took me about 3 hours the second time around!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The old pump must've looked a lot like the new one (even though it was in use in the engine) for that to happen.

Yes, classic non the less.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
On 2006-09-29 16:14, psivory wrote:
After I saw the pump on the bench, I carefully put everything down and walked out of the garage. LOL,
the good part was that it only took me about 3 hours the second time around!
I remember that one!
We've probably all done something similar I'm sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts