Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

Just bought a 1999 Lightning with 19,000 miles for under 20K. I was actully in the market for a late model XLT with the extended cab but when I ran across the Lightning for just a couple of grand more I couldn't resist......hope I won't live to regret it. I've seen allot of articles regarding bolt ons (chips, pulleys, headers, and such ) that promise significantly increased power but if I plan on using my Lightning as a daily driver am I better off leaving it stock? What do such bolt ons do to engine/tranny wear? How 'bout resale value (though I don't think I'll ever sell this truck....it is a blast to drive)? Are there any quirks/maintenance issues I should be aware of? Also, can this truck really tow well as claimed (I own a flats boat)? Do I need to add a tranny cooler? Sorry if I sound stupid......I'm a novice mechanic.....but I do love Ford trucks! Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Since you plan to do a bit of towing and you also live in Fla(warmer weather), I'd leave it alone. A few things that won't affect driveability would be headers, Hi Flo cats and an aftermarket cat back exhaust. A custom tune wouldn't hurt either, if it takes into account your geography and your intended use. Also. they come with a tranny cooler as is.

BTW Diablo is based in FLA so they're close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1 Bad 88 GT!

Yeah, I pretty much planned on keeping it stock. Might mod the intake and exhuast......add a chip.......as I have the money.......but this is one sweet truck as it is.......just a blast to drive!

Ben

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
As a side thought, a K&N isn't a mod it's almost a must.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm with 1Bad88GT:
Any intake & exhaust mods will be good for performance and will not hamper reliability. These vehicles respond well to mild mods.

A custom tune is always a good thing, and is important on boosted vehicles for reliablility.

Increasing power by upping the boost with a pulley is an easy mod, but a good tune and running good fuel are very important. Be careful with the tuner and make sure they are clear that you want a safe, realible tune. Some guys get carried away with making big number's on the dyno.

These trucks can withstand a lot of abuse. You should be happy with it.

Good luck, happy modding, and happy motoring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts