Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ditched the 331 and upgraded to a dart block and made a few changes. We strap it to an engine dyno next tuesday.

Dart Block 4.125 bore
3.25 stroke Crank
Probe Lightweight I beam rods
JE custom pistons 15:1 compession
Ported TW Heads Flow numbers at the end*
Custom Grind Solid roller .704/.704 275/[email protected] 108
Ported Super Victor Intake w/ 1" spacer
BIGS 950 Stage 7
KOOKS 1 7/8 headers with Evac System

Flow numbers for the heads
200 300 400 500 600 700

I 160 218 272 304 310 313

E 93 133 165 188 208 218

Rex

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Good god that things gonna be sick =). Can't wait to see what you pull out of it!

Cris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it only made [email protected] and [email protected] We finished putting it in and made 3 passes. All in the [email protected] The first two runs were with the C-4 going from 1st to 3rd and the last was 101 due to pedaling the car and running it out in 2nd gear. C-4 is fixed. New shifter is on the way and will be making some 1/4 mile passes in December.

Rex

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey Rex

How ya been...hows the family

"only" 608 hp lol
That is one bad sbf...oh, dont you know...TW heads are junk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He Tim,

Family is doing Great. Lance will be 3 next month. Yeah TW's are junk. My builder laughed when I told him what I wanted to do. The motor is a screamer. Turned alot of heads at the track. Of course I was running only headers and an Xpipe. I will be ditching these heads in a couple years and swapping to a set of R's. WOW the girls should be all grown up by now.

Rex

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Similar to a build Billy Glidden and Jay Allen did years back. Only their motor was 4.030x3.4", 13:1 compression, out of the box Holley 950hp, and out of the box Canfield 212's. Horsepower was [email protected] The strength of that motor was the heads though. They swore they could get 650 with some carb mods and tuning. Cook yours up a notch like you were talking about and you should be moving along =D.

Not to say you aren't now...600hp+ is SCREAMING.

Awesome work man =)

Cris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-12-11 19:42, fast89gt wrote:
Rex q for you how much did you have to mill of your heads to get to 15:1 ??
The compression only came out to 14.6:1 becuase the heads couldnt be milled anymore any milling of the heads the same ammount would have had to be taken off of the pistons. I know the heads have been flat milled approximately .050 and the chamber is 58cc. We are running a pretty good sized dome on it.

Rex

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: REX331 on 12/12/06 6:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
hmmm 14:6 not bad JE told me that it would be hard to get that kinda comp with a TW and a smaller cube moter.. Right now i have sitting in my car is a 8.2 deck Dart block cubic inch 364 TW heads flowing 322 at .700 my heads have been milled also about .045 my comp came out to 13:7 still not bad... I have Ross pistons with max domes on them.
I have a soild roller .700 intake .705 exhaust duration is at .050 273 intake 284 exhaust.super victor intake Pro Systems carb Kooks 2inch headers. I cant wait to get it dynoed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did some calcs and your right it would take a pretty big dome to make the 14.6, it didnt look like the dome was any bigger than my old one....Infact it looked smaller. I was going off what my builder told me, and I have no reason not to believe him. I know he had to lay the chamber open a little more to make the head where they worked better with a 4.125 bore. Curious who ported your heads? What size valve did they go with and if they are stainless or Titanium. I believe my heads flow in the same area as yours, but as he said his bench is kinda stingy. I am happy with the performance and the motor. It is definately better than my old 331.

Rex

·
Registered
5 Posts
my TW heads were first ported by FPS i had a 347 built by them. The old moter was EFI 11:25 comp custom hyd cam .576 .576 lift track heat intake 70mm tb 42# injecters bbk 1 3/4 headers,dry shot of NOS i had it tuned here in MI by Lido Alternative Auto.. The moter made 359.4 power,370.1 torque on moter on spray it made 449.5 power 513.3 torque.. Changed up a little bit tried a 5.0 Victor intake also went to a Acufab 75mm race TB power jumped to 383.2 power 372torque on spray it made 495.2 power 553.5 torque the intake helped out but the cam stoped making power at 6,500 this was not bad.. This is when the block was pretty maxed out on the spray.. The runs were made with a TKO on a mustang dyno. Now it was time to upgrade 8.2 dart block my heads also had some more porting done to them by a local guy here in MI.. His Name is AL he used to run his own shop called RHINO Racing.. Now he works at D&S engines..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah ok. Local guy did mine too. He couldnt believe the hack job another well known company did on them. They were probably holding my car back. Not a single exhuast port matched.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PTC 8 inch convertor. Was built for the 331. I called them and asked what it would cost to send it back to be restalled due to the extra hp and extra cubes, but he said try it first becuase it may work fine, which it does. I highly recomend them. Pretty cost effecient too IMO.

Rex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Iam using Frank Lupo i cant understand my luck with them!!! First converter sent to me was a 9inch i think we just had a little bit of missunderstanding about my combo the 9inch was so tight only 3300 that was such bullshit i than called them up and made a complain they said oh we have to put you into a 8inch... well that one sucked too was able to get about 3900.. I have called them up and they told me maybe its your trans or your cam is far retarted this is not the case.. Iam going to try leaving of the trans brake and see if this helps.. I have 60ft only a best of 1.774 the car leaves like a turtle its kinda enbrassing for me..
I have had a pretty good mph so far 131, its best et was crap 10.96 i just need to get a right converter and i should be able to kick ass

1 - 19 of 19 Posts