Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a 351w into my 66 stang. It runs like a champ, but gets very hot in a matter of 15 minutes or so. Let me explain my situation. Went to the junk yard, got some serpentine brackets/pulleys off of a mid 80's lincoln... The brackets I got place the alt/ps pump on the right side of the engine (when facing it). The belt goes around the crank, water pump, alt and ps. This setup is designed to spin the water pump clockwise... I tried putting a 289 style water pump on here, with the outlet being on the left (when facing the engine), but its shaft is actually lower and the water pump pulley / crank pulley hit. Now.... This only leaves me to a newer style water pump, with the inlet on the other side. I thought I got the right water pump, because both the 289 style one and this new one had the same exact shaped impellers.... So my question is, do you think eventhough the inlet is on the other side, could it be the water pump? The impellers are the same.... Or should I look else where.. I do know for a 100% fact that the pulley setup I got is designed to spin the water pump clockwise.. So I know they make those style water pumps...

Any feedback would be awesome,
Chris

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The outlet positon of the pump won't affect the pumps operation. My 351W Falcon has a pump with the outlet on the passenger side and with a 3 row early Mustang radiator cools OK. I always though the later serpentine belt water pumps turned the opposite direction as the early ones. Maybe the pump isn't turning the right direction.A head gasket installed wrong will also cause over heating but not be too obvious if you are looking elsewhere for the problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 5/28/02 2:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Is the thermostat opening up? start with the easy stuff.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I dont know if its the pump or not. The pulleys I got like I said were designed for clockwise rotation. The impellers are the same as the early 289 style pump. So maybe it is my thermostat.. Do you guys think it could be because its just that little radiator is not enough for this big 351w? The 351w is pushing about 400hp

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chris, why are you sure the rotation on the lincoln was clockwise? Mid 80's with a serpentine setup... Was the belt still on? How many brackets did you get? Did you say the bracket placed the alt. and the p/s pump together on the drivers side of the engine?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1FAST67 on 5/28/02 4:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check the pump to block matchup.Sometimes the different year pumps don't have the same opening in the back that allows enough water to get into the block.What I mean is,I ordered a waterpump for my 85 Mustang and actually I ordered an 86.Two different part numbers.Could not figure out the difference until I looked at the openings on the back of both pumps and they were shaped differently.One hole was bigger!! Hope this may help.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the lincoln that I saw the belt was still on. Yes, the bracket I got places the alt/ps pump on the right side of the engine. Well, I got all of them. water pump pulley, crank pulley, and of course the alt/ps ones. This lincoln had a belt going around all four items. Then, another going around the smog pump and a/c....

On 2002-05-27 16:56, 1FAST67 wrote:
Chris, why are you sure the rotation on the lincoln was clockwise? Mid 80's with a serpentine setup... Was the belt still on? How many brackets did you get? Did you say the bracket placed the alt. and the p/s pump together on the drivers side of the engine?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1FAST67 on 5/28/02 4:58am ]</font>

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I will try a thermostat first , and if not check this out.

On 2002-05-27 20:06, 331nosgt wrote:
Check the pump to block matchup.Sometimes the different year pumps don't have the same opening in the back that allows enough water to get into the block.What I mean is,I ordered a waterpump for my 85 Mustang and actually I ordered an 86.Two different part numbers.Could not figure out the difference until I looked at the openings on the back of both pumps and they were shaped differently.One hole was bigger!! Hope this may help.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After doing some investigations, I think it is the timing cover. It wants a reverse rotation pump, while I have a standard one. So i'll have to get a new pump... and a new pulley/fan...

Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
Chris you lost me when you said,

QUOTE: "After doing some investigations, I think it is the timing cover. It wants a reverse rotation pump, while I have a standard one."

See, I'm having cooling problems also with a setup similar to yours. I thought my mechanic told me that all timing covers from the '60s to the '90s were the same (for that application). Are you telling me I could have a timing cover made for a standard rotation & not my serpentine conversion "reverse rotation"?

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
67stang351 - go to this url:
http://members.tripod.com/lyc_42/fengpix1/fengpix1.htm

Go to the very end of the page, it shows pics of a new style and older style timing cover. They are interchangeable, but look at the water passages. I think my problem is that since I have a standard rotation pump, the holes don't line 100% up with the reverse rotation cover... thus blocking water flow, exactly what the guy said above (sorry forgot your name)

Chris

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don’t mater what cover you use. I have mismatched them for years without a problem.
Make sure your thermostat is in the right direction.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tricky-I don't know man. I was looking at the water ports of the timing cover, and water passage on the water pump . They don't line up all that well! ...

Chris

·
Registered
37 Posts
make sure the lower radiator hose is not
colapsing, Most have springs in them to
keep them from colapsing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts