Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

just bought a new 66 and have a few questions for the brains of the forum. my goal is to restore to as close to original as I can without blowing my budget. The car is about 95 complete, but needs paint, interior help and some clean up in the motor. Trunk is in bad shape, but mostly just cosmetic.

1. trunk paint. I plan to remove some surface rust and cover with rust covering primer or some por15 type product. what is the stock color used in the 65 and 66 Galaxie trunks? Mine looks like body color toward the back with a dark grey and white flake splatter...it looks stock, but might be after market job. anyone know? And if so, is the eastwood splatter the best way to go. other paint product suggestions?​

2. trunk carpet/mat. anyone know the stock mat that goes in the trunk and best place to buy? Anyone have pictures of a stock trunk to share...your own or from a show? I could not find anything. Looks like I have the original cardboard side inserts and some cardboard backed with jute on the upper ledge. again looks stock, but do not know.​

3. car has original jack and spare, wondering how these sat? on ledge?​

4. decals. car has original tire and jack instruction sticker. was that all in the trunk?​

Thanks a bunch.​

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
trunk paint color is med to dark grey with blue and red speckels but no one makes the paint,I painted the trunk with black epoxy primer then with GM gray and aqua speckle then used a small brush and Ford candy apple red for speckle.Mikes classic cars has the correct mat with blue and red speckle/The jack and tire mount on the upper shelf for hardtop and on right trunk apron in convert

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I just did my '67 with the darker of the two colors that Eastwood offers. Wasn't concerned about a stock look, happy with how it turned out. It took A LOT of paint to cover the trunk.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The best mat by far is available through Mike's Classic Cars in Blair, NE. He is the only one who has taken care to get the mats made exactly as the Ford originals. He had a limited run so they are not going to be available forever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just did my '67 with the darker of the two colors that Eastwood offers. Wasn't concerned about a stock look, happy with how it turned out. It took A LOT of paint to cover the trunk.

Trunk looks good. I am digging into mine now. I've read some on it and it seems like most people recommend zolotone for the finished product. Has anyone done this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts