Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I was just recently given a '67 XL. It has the 390 2 barrel with auto trans.

Engine and trans were rebuilt about 300 miles ago. the car has a few dings here and there and needs paint, but rust is almost nonexistant- just a little on the front fenders and 2 spots under the back window. Its much better than what i would expect from a 39 year old car

I'm an auto tech by trade- but young, so expect some carburetor tuning questions from me! Besides their basic operating principles, carbs are greek to me... I'm not a stranger to message boards, so dont worry, i'll search first!

I also own a 1991 toyota mr2, N/A, if there happen to be any mr2 owners on here

Here's a few pictures while it was still at my grandparent's house. So they're a month or two old-

Outside: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/Dijital357/P4290196.jpg
Interior: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/Dijital357/P4290201.jpg
Engine: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/Dijital357/P4290198.jpg
390 Badge: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/Dijital357/P4290206.jpg

And just for kicks, my mr2
: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/Dijital357/P1010226.jpg

See you around,
Doug

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Congrats on the Gal. and welcome to the board. They are nice old cars. Tought to find parts sometimes but worth it in the end.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Welcome to FORDMUSCLE. The advice is free and for the most part, right on! I hope you have a big wallet. By the way, whats a toyota? Something to keep the kids toys in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome
. You all have some sweet cars... im in awe just seeing your signatures. makes me wish i had the money right now to get mine painted... but her time will come i guess.

lol my MR2 is my daily driver (fun daily driver!).. i know this is a ford board, but dont hate!
If i had to fuel the Gal as my DD, i'd be taking out loans for gas...

I've been pleasantly suprised by how inexpensive a lot of the basic parts for these cars are- like a new wheel cylinder... $11?! awesome price.. but specific parts are quite pricey, you're definitely right! Im glad i wont have to replace any body panels or anything...

How much do you all think a new original color paint job will cost me? I'd get all the dings pulled while im at it. She has 2 rust "holes" under the rear window that are about as big around as a pencil, if that helps in the estimation... i was thinking a total of around $3,000. Is that close?

thanks again,
Doug

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Welcome aboard!

You'll love it here, Esspecially when you start diggin in her!

And search for all sorts of stuff. So many people, So many different directions taken for the same "thing".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks again for the warm welcomes everyone

i'll remember that brotherdon when i start looking for headers. Im thinking of going with some brand of headers and a 2 1/4 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40 delta series mufflers. does that sound good?

im gonna try to put the original 4 barrel and 4 barrel intake plenum on her too, to get a few extra ponies. and other than a few engine dress up type things (not a big fan of the all blue paint peeling engine), i'm gonna leave her stock. i like the mostly stock look.

Gotta get her painted first though....

thanks again,
Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it is EXPENSIVE, but the FPA will do the trick 4 ya. The 40 series are very resonant and loud. I have pulled mine and am going with 50 delta flow. Lots of sound files on Flowmasters. The 40's are more for strip use.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I run the FPA headers on my XL and they fit very nice. They also have the ball and socket type collector so no collector gasket to blow out or leak
I also have 2 1/2" exhaust all the way to the back bumper that exists in in the factory location with the 40 Series Delta Flows. I don't think they resonate anywhere near the old original 40 Series Flowmasters. Friends that have ridden in my car have commented about the lack of noise inside. They do stand up and talk to ya when you get on it though!!
But that is just my opinion. You may want to try and find a few cars with those mufflers on them and see what you think for yourself.

Good luck!

You got a really nice piece to start with

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok cool... some things to mull over about the exhaust.

Im gonna have to search around for those FPA headers. Searched google, not much came up. maybe ebay? How much do they usually cost?

Im not real wild about interior noise- but i like a car to open up when i stomp on it. i'll see if i can find some sound clips online with those 40 series, and some 50 series as well, and see what i think. maybe theres some owners around that i can listen to as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Doug

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dijital357 on 6/30/06 4:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just finishing up my 67-looks like you got a nice one to start with-feel free to ask questions. I'm about 40 miles south of you. I did a frame off so I know every nut, bolt and screw in a 67. (If I can remember-lol).

PSIovry-- where did you get your blue hoses man-I looked for them and couldn't find any. Stewart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2006-06-29 17:19, 673904spd wrote:
Ford Powertrain Application ford the headers....

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/FPA%20index1.htm

Stan is a good guy who is real knowledgable!

Jim
Excellent, thanks for that link. His stuff looks very well made (made in the good 'ole USA too!). So thats what most of you all use...

On 2006-06-30 14:03, ODU22 wrote:
Just finishing up my 67-looks like you got a nice one to start with-feel free to ask questions. I'm about 40 miles south of you. I did a frame off so I know every nut, bolt and screw in a 67. (If I can remember-lol).

PSIovry-- where did you get your blue hoses man-I looked for them and couldn't find any. Stewart
Thanks
I'm sure I'll have a few questions once I get some money together!

The biggest problem im having right now is the darn transmission seems to be leaking from a front seal. That seal has been replaced twice now (by the same guy). I guess the guy who did it must not have known what he was doing...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts