Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we (me and my dad) are new to the Fairlane world but not new to Fords or turnin wrenches. we just aquired a 1966 GT with a 390/4 speed.

first question, what is the difference between the single point and dual point distributors? we wanna upgrade to the electronic kit that removes the points. the kit in question is the Crane xr-i 7510, it says for single points only but is there that dramatic of a difference? we want this kit because of the built in rev limiter and arent ready to step up to a full blown igintion set up (down the road).

next question, what are the main areas to look for rust? the car is pretty cherry and straight but we are going to do some investigation.

if i think of any more ill ask, thanx.

pics to come soon...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: optika1illushun on 9/11/06 11:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx, i just found my way to Woody's site.

we arent interested in swapping the dizzy yet, just get rid of the points at the moment.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
40 bucks and you have a new ford one its the newer one that deletes the points..its called duraspark. if i were you i would read the above link about it. they have lifetime warrantees and the kits you buy have like one year warrantees. been there done that...they do fail.
duraspark is the same distributor just has different things inside (magnetos instead of points) so you can take your old one in for the core charge.

ps subframe connectors will save your car from too much twist as it is a u body (unit body, uni body) or better yet a cage. also check the shock towers for cracks with the coils out near the upper a arms bolt holes (after cleaning it to bare metal on the wheel side?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so we can just drop in a duraspark dizzy and be done with it? we are wanting to keep it stock looking.

from what we seen, the shock towers are fine and check out. there's no need for a roll cage, the car wont see any severe use. i was considering them, but again, thats future plans. right now we are wanting to get the car running smooth and concern on the interior.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
yes in the link above you will see the distributor and install tips, it looks exactly the same. i would also consider subframe connectlors or you may see paint start to crack, and doors mis align.. these cars twist alot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i re-read the link, seems simple enough. ill have to check out what is available from my local mcparts store. any special part numbers i need or just do a little searching? i seen his part number but he is also doing a 351W.

good thing is the car wont see much use now until next summer so the sub-frame connectors can wait. i forgot these were uni-body cars, because i know on the fox body stangs, sub frame connectors are the hot ticket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx, we'll check out those specific areas.

we ordered some igintion goodies tonight, we opted out for the duraspark 2 for the time being.

what is a good setting for base timing and is there a special way to set it. i think ya need to remove the vacuum advance...? (its a metal tube on ours).

pics of the car can be found here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v648/optikal_illushun/Fairlane/

·
Registered
92 Posts
i put the crane modual in my 289 and it lasted about a month. it would get hot and the car would stall. had to wait for about 30 min. for it to cool down and car would start. not a very good investment imo. i went back to points until i do the duraspark swap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm...well thats a bad thing, i already ordered it :-/.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats what i figured. its not like the car is going to be driven 5,000 miles between now and when we do any serious engine work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts