Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

New Best E.T. and Need Help with Time Slip

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  BRDVPRA 
#1 ·
How to start,
I recently broke into the 13s in my 65 Falcon. I was at 13.89 and now I have a new best time of 13.71 I think. Here is what happened.

At a local track in MO, (Mo-Kan) they had a nastalgia night where they ran all the bracket races and they had a muscle car class that was supposed to be all street stuff with DOT tires. Well the muscle cars my little Falcon was doing battle with were full blown NHRA cars that happened to put on drag radials before they left the house. One was a 68 camero with a 502 cu motor that beat me by a mere 1.5s and the other oh the other was a 69 camero with a 636ci motor with nos putting down around 2100 ponies at the wheel. He ran 9.20 on drag radials damn that car was fast. We all got two runs and then the fastest two would go head to head. I ran the slow one and was withing 1.5s (not bad for full exahaust, well over 200ci, and BFG TAs). On the second run I requestd the fast car.

We staged and my plan was to go on the first yellow bulb. I ended up cutting a -.498light. Now here's the question. My time slip said the following
1.37 60ft
5.14 330ft
8.28 1/8 mile
78.41 1/8 mile mph
11.08 1000 ft
90.31 1000 ft mph
13.27 @ 99.01
I think I know the answer, but I want to make sure. I always thought your 1/4 mile et started once you broke the beam not when the light turned green. So does it add your reaction time to the et if you are slower than the light? Maybe it if you are in the positive ireation time the et doesn't start until you break the beam? I was running 13.7ish all night until this point so I don't think the car just came alive.

Either way I'm happy and the no question best with the little 289 and T5 is now:
2.05 60ft (needs to be about 1.

5.76 330ft
8.82 1/8 mile
80.21 1/8 mile mph
11.47 1000 ft
92.30 1000 ft mph
13.7110 @ 100.76

See less See more
#2 ·
Reaction time has nothing to do with ET as you suspected.

Timing starts once you break the start beam. The RT is provided to let you know how slow you were to react since most bracket racing is lost at the lights.

#5 ·
1.37 60'? I barely do that in mine...running mid 9's. Either way....

ET starts when you break the stage beam (not the prestage). If you stage shallow, you have more of a head start, which improves ET some. My car sees a full tenth in the 1/8 difference between shallow and deep (deep=putting the top light out).

Reaction time is the time it takes the CAR to react to the green light. RT has nothing to do with 1/4 ET.

#6 ·
Congrats on lowering your et!

As far as this time slip goes:
1.37 60ft
5.14 330ft
8.28 1/8 mile
78.41 1/8 mile mph
11.08 1000 ft
90.31 1000 ft mph
13.27 @ 99.01
Something went wrong with the timers. There is no way you hit a 1.37 60 foot time. That is WAAAY quicker (as mavman noted) than a 13 second car on street radials. The other time you posted looks good.

BTW......Great looking car!

#9 ·
Yeah, something is waaay wrong somewhere! Maybe that '69 camaro with the 636 motor cut a 1.37 60 footer but you didn't...no way!
Second, your 1/8 mile MPH seems low for the 8.2 E.T
Third, you gained 9 MPH in the last 320 feet!! Nope...didn't happen.
I'm not bashing your car but it's obvious something went awry with the timers.
You said you got beat by a "mere 1.5 seconds".....well, in drag racing, that's a loooooooong time...LOL
I would go back another day and hope they have the bugs worked out.

#10 ·
Yeah, something is waaay wrong somewhere! Maybe that '69 camaro with the 636 motor cut a 1.37 60 footer but you didn't...no way!
You said you got beat by a "mere 1.5 seconds".....well, in drag racing, that's a loooooooong time...LOL

#8 ·

#14 ·
It just seems like the heads up racing got the best of the timers. If you add the -.498 reaction time I'm right back at 13.7. I'm saying for whatever reason the clock didn't start until the light turned green that explains everything.

#15 ·
do you run street tires or slicks at the track? I ask as i have a very simialr combo that is almost in the 13's now..love that little 289...I think the only real difference is that my heads are stock w/ no port work or polish. Your mph is 2.5 mph faster but your et is 5/10's faster, i need to work on my 60" as it's only a 2.20 best so far and i have small 215/60/14 bfg draf radials.. better yet what is your combo for the 289?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.