Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made it to the track to test the faceplated gear set and find if the port work to the heads and matching the intake did anything. It did!

First pass was an easy one. Clutch set tight, 5,400 rpm launch, short shifted, and had my 300'ish lbs buddy in the passenger seat so he could see how it was done before he got in the lanes with his BBC '70 Nova. The suspension didn't work well with his weight in the passenger seat as it jerked to the side on launch and startled me.

60' 1.665
330' 4.854
1/8 7.474
MPH 93.73
1000 9.737
1/4 11.638
MPH 118.68

Second pass was just me. Got greedy and upped the shift point to 7,500 rpm and launched with a 6,000 rpm pill in the two step. Car hooked, went straight, and the pass felt good.

60' 1.535
330' 4.570
1/8 7.088 (new personal best)
MPH 96.77
1000 9.279
1/4 11.123 (new personal best)
MPH 122.40 (new personal best)

DA 1,083' according to the data on Drag Times.

Went to the pits and took a turn out of the clutch. Looked for a 6,500 rpm pill for the two step and realized I had left them at home.
Left the 6,000 pill in and got in the lanes. Decided to try shifting at 7,800 rpm. Buddy was in the stands and got video of this pass on his camera. I'll get it from him and post it up here when I get a chance.

60' 1.586
330 4.619
1/8 7.120
MPH 97.79 (new personal best)
1000 9.303
1/4 11.147
MPH 121.89

DA 1,398 according to the data on Drag Times.

I could feel the car not pulling as hard in 4th gear which is evident by it gaining 1.5 less mph than the previous pass on the back half. I could hear a ticking when I pulled my helmet off on my way to pick up a time slip. No dead cylinder though and oil pressure was fine. Got to the pits and it sounds like either a rocker backed off (last time this happened was when I hit the 8,000 rpm rev limiter hard and I certianly could have hit it on the shifts since shifted wide open throttle at 7,800) or I developed an exhaust leak.

I forgot I had taken several of the tools out of my track tool box since last time to the track. I had no rachet or socket to get the valve covers off and no feeler gauge. Then I found out they were closing the lanes at 6pm when I thought they were shutting down at 8PM or later. After that we called it a day.

Other issues I need to look into are fixing the Moroso alternator mount so it doesn't lose tension after a pass, it stalling when I let out after a pass, a drivetrain vibration at the top of fourth gear, and a transmission fluid leak from what I'm guessing would be the front main seal. The alternator belt getting slack worries me that the MSD box might not get enough current and hurt performance on the big end. The stalling could be an issue somewhere in my fuel system letting the bowls run real low by the end of a pass (I have noticed lean plugs before and curious what I'll see this time). The transmission leak no doubt soaked the clutch which will negatively affect the way it works.

I'm VERY happy with the faceplated gears. First pass with a faceplated trans is like your first pass with slicks. You wonder why you ever raced without them. I'm also happy with the mph gain that shows the porting was worth a good amount.

I'm very hopeful the 60 ft has a bit left in it and that with some sorting and good air could mean a 10.99 at 123.xx MPH is not completely out of the question. At least 10.99 seems like it could be on the horizon instead of well down the road.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congrats on the new best! Those are great times. Dropping a quarter of a second and gaining 2 mph is huge when you are already running fast.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
With your best quarter I would expect to see your 8th mile times in the 6.90's. Your 60 foot looks ok. Something on the short end may be holding you back from that magical 10 second quarter time. If you can still trap out and get down into the 6.90's in the 8th you're already in the high 10's.

Not that I am an expert. I have just studied it a lot for my own stuff. I'll be happy to stay in the 11.60's - 11.80's with my rig.

Still, dang good running. You know the old song though. The faster you go the more it costs to go faster.

·
Registered
191 Posts
man that is running good,...10's arent far away.i hope i can get mine running that good,will be tring to run it this weekend.

what does the car weigh?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hottarod, the back half picks up almost 26 mph on the second pass. That is way more than I expected and shows it's making good power. The trick is getting the front half down and a big part of that will be in the 60 ft. The 60ft still has a bit left in it.

I'm no sure on the weight. I'd guess 3,000-3,100 with my 210 lbs in the driver's seat.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
It may be just a matter of finding the optimum launch and shift points which you'll have to experiment with.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may be just a matter of finding the optimum launch and shift points which you'll have to experiment with.
Shift points, get the tune sorted, work out some little things, and most importantly getting the 60ft where it should be. The 60ft should come around nicely as I up the shift rpm and find the sweet spot with the clutch.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank's Don. The problem was a backed off intake rocker on the number 3 cylinder. All seems fine now. Buddy has a disc of the pass he took video of. Just need to meet up with him to get it on one of his days off. I watched it on his camera and it does get air under both front tires. I thought that was cool and can't feel it doing so in the car.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I watched it on his camera and it does get air under both front tires. I thought that was cool and can't feel it doing so in the car.

Thats the way it SHOULD feel... Usually if you can "feel" it its wasting time doing it, and is usually hard on pieces parts. Congrats on PB tho.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Nate, I think the time is in the 60', out to the 300' mark... get those down a touch, and you have 10's in the bag. Its probably experimentation with launch you need to get dialed in with..

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Wow. Thats pretty quick for a 289. 10.90s are coming soon. Is that a full street setup?
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Fastest actual 289 car I have seen ran 6.95 in the 8th. It had freakin tractor rear gears. They left up in the 5500 rpm zone and shifted around 8. That engine did not last very long.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Fastest actual 289 car I have seen ran 6.95 in the 8th. It had freakin tractor rear gears. They left up in the 5500 rpm zone and shifted around 8. That engine did not last very long.

Well all I have to say is it wasnt built correctly then... Or thats MO anyways...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow. Thats pretty quick for a 289. 10.90s are coming soon. Is that a full street setup?
Good luck.
The only thing that isn't street friendly is the faceplated gears I recently put in the T5. I still street drive it but street driving a faceplated transmission is not for everyone. Some might frown on using a solid roller on the street I suppose.

Here is a link with some video of how it drives on the street, highway, and of a 7.19 1/8 mile pass after driving it to Irwindale. This was before I swapped in the faceplated gears.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/drag-racing/507641-latest-trip-1-8-mile-track-irwindale.html

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm shooting for an 1/8 like that to run what I hope to run. It has the power and parts. I just need to make it all work together.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
What I meant by didn't last long, well long is relative and it was a sort of a franken project at the back of their shop. They were having to change the bearings every few months if I recall. It may have had an oiling issue. I try and build something that will last 5 years but I don't run every week end.

They were getting good air on the launches but it hit a slick spot on the track around second gear and with a spool, well the result wasn't very pretty. After that they got greedy and put a 347 kit in it so they wouldn't have to wind it so high to get the same numbers. Technically it was no longer a 289 after that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts