Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got mine as recommended by this site, looks great. One problem, the cheap chrome dual feed line leaked from the rear bowl, I went and bought a new one, and it now leaks from the front bowl.

Does anybody know a trick for these fuel lines? Could they both be bad, or am I an idiot? They are not stripped, nor overtorqued... yet. I have loosened them and retightened them a number of times.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
They are a bitch to get sealed. A racers trick is to cut a two inch piece out of the middle and use rubber fuel line to bridge the gap. This awil alllow both fittings to align properly. You can aslo pull one bowl at a time and change jets w/ the flexible center piece.

JL

Technical Editor

Fordmuscle.com

'65 Mustang GT, 289 (Warp 65)

'92 Mustang, 5.0 T5Z (Green Machine II)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FasterDamnit! on 1/13/02 11:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

thanks for the response, the second line that I bought is a spectre line, which is steel braided rubber in the middle. Looks fantastic, but still leaks. I

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
the only way to get those to seal is to tighten it more than you think you need to. it WILL stop leaking but you jsut need to crank it more...til you think its gonna break!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The over tighten method does seem to work. It just makes me nervious as hell doing it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
66 coupe,FASTERDAMNIT had the right fix!!Also coat the back couple of threads on the fuel line with 3m weather adhesive and not teflon tape,because the tape can break loose and hang up your needle and seat!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By now I am sure nobody is reading this, but just in case... the solution for me was to sand the end of the fuel line fitting (the top of the flared end that seats into the holley fuel bowl) with 150 grit and then finish it with 600 grit. This took less than 5 minutes of sanding. I believe under the chrome is brass. Brass is much softer than chrome and the fuel line sealed immediately. Now, if I can just figure out this 4 corner idle thing, I will be set.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
glad you got it sealed. Nothing worse than gas puking out of the carb staining the intake, except maybe it catching on fire. Have fun with the four corner idle, let me know how it goes, I might be buying one in the spring.

Rick

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 1/20/02 2:52am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts