Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351C that was built for the Strip years ago and I'm planning to install a new cam and lifter system using Summit hydraulic flat tappets.

I have roller rockers mounted on pedestals and wondered what valve lash to use? The previous Cam had solid lifters.

This is an effort to 'detune' the engine for Street use. I'm not looking for a radical set-up anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Zero lash if you are using hydra lifters.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:rolleyes:

Here we go again.

I think maybe this one will go to... FIFTY THREADS... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have absolutely the definitive answer to this question. Call you cam manufacturer and follow their recommendations to the letter. This way if you do have a problem they will likely cover it.

I do have a question though since I also have a fresh 351C bottom end waiting for some heads and a vehicle to stab it into.
I plan to run a solid lift cam so I will be installing the oil restrictor kit.
Since it was raced with solids before, did they install the oil restrictor kit which you will now need to remove for a hydraulic lift cam?

http://www.competitionproducts.com/Moroso-Oil-Restrictor-Kit-Ford-351C/productinfo/MOR22050/

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have absolutely the definitive answer to this question. Call you cam manufacturer and follow their recommendations to the letter. This way if you do have a problem they will likely cover it.

I do have a question though since I also have a fresh 351C bottom end waiting for some heads and a vehicle to stab it into.
I plan to run a solid lift cam so I will be installing the oil restrictor kit.
Since it was raced with solids before, did they install the oil restrictor kit which you will now need to remove for a hydraulic lift cam?

Moroso, Oil Restrictor Kit, Ford 351C-Competition Products
for hyd. cam , remove restrictor at #5 main that feeds driver side lifter bank

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
sorry FE , I posted right after reading the klutz post that has no value.

then again whats a klutz worth

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
IIWM (If It Were Me), I would consider installing a mild solid lifter cam as it's once being a competition engine, it may have had the oil supply modified and not knowing that exactly and/or how and how much (without tearing into it), might run into problems with a hydraulic. You already have the adjustable valve-train.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Uh you HUSH and tell him how to do it then. We'll all stay out of it if you're accurate enough to keep him from breaking something. :D

Come on Kul, get to it. :)

Everybody wait for Kultulz to give the magic answer.
Gary, when do you plan to end this silly goading? I am trying to leave you alone.

<fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Ignore List</legend> <form action="profile.php?do=updatelist&userlist=ignore" method="post" id="ignorelist_change_form">
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][116401]" id="usercheck_116401" value="116401" checked="checked" type="checkbox">DanH
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][119161]" id="usercheck_119161" value="119161" checked="checked" type="checkbox">FALCONAROUND
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][114102]" id="usercheck_114102" value="114102" checked="checked" type="checkbox">FEandGoingBroke
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][112501]" id="usercheck_112501" value="112501" checked="checked" type="checkbox">thekingofazle
</form></fieldset>
Now before you go and make an a$$ of yourself saying I read your posts, I usually view the board first without signing in and of course the IGNORE is not engaged at this point. When I come across a post such as this one, I will answer.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Gary, when do you plan to end this silly goading? I am trying to leave you alone.

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Ignore List</LEGEND><FORM id=ignorelist_change_form action=profile.php?do=updatelist&userlist=ignore method=post>
  • <INPUT id=usercheck_116401 type=checkbox CHECKED value=116401 name=listbits[ignore][116401]>DanH
  • <INPUT id=usercheck_119161 type=checkbox CHECKED value=119161 name=listbits[ignore][119161]>FALCONAROUND
  • <INPUT id=usercheck_114102 type=checkbox CHECKED value=114102 name=listbits[ignore][114102]>FEandGoingBroke
  • <INPUT id=usercheck_112501 type=checkbox CHECKED value=112501 name=listbits[ignore][112501]>thekingofazle
</FORM></FIELDSET>
Now before you go and make an a$$ of yourself saying I read your posts, I usually view the board first without signing in and of course the IGNORE is not engaged at this point. When I come across a post such as this one, I will answer.
hey klutz , means you get to reasd mine and the others .
no worry , your list will get longer

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
IIWM (If It Were Me), I would consider installing a mild solid lifter cam as it's once being a competition engine, it may have had the oil supply modified and not knowing that exactly and/or how and how much (without tearing into it), might run into problems with a hydraulic. You already have the adjustable valve-train.
I concur Why make things more difficult than they are... They do make very streetable cams in solid lifter configurations....

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a 351C that was built for the Strip years ago and I'm planning to install a new cam and lifter system using Summit hydraulic flat tappets.

I have roller rockers mounted on pedestals and wondered what valve lash to use? The previous Cam had solid lifters.

This is an effort to 'detune' the engine for Street use. I'm not looking for a radical set-up anymore.
for street use , you know what the compression ratio is ? Best to know or find out .

smaller cam will rise the cranking psi . goes to high you will be backing of the timing and have the biggest dog/turd in the state .

when you say you got roller rocker , these with the 7/16 stud or the Crane kit to use rollers ?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
for street use , you know what the compression ratio is ? Best to know or find out .

smaller cam will rise the cranking psi . goes to high you will be backing of the timing and have the biggest dog/turd in the state .

when you say you got roller rocker , these with the 7/16 stud or the Crane kit to use rollers ?
All valid questions that need answered. Back in the early '80's a friend built a clev with 12.5 domes 4v heads, 2x4 tunnel, biggest comp cam avail during the day (hyd) 5000 stall, 5:14 rear, for the street :eek: Was it a "street engine"? NO, but he tried. It was later 'de-tuned' but still didnt have very good street manners. Just way to much compression, even though you could still find "good gas"... So until you really asses the bottom end unknowns it maybe better to sell it to a racer and build a different engine. ( not what you want to hear i know)

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts

<fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Ignore List</legend> <form action="profile.php?do=updatelist&userlist=ignore" method="post" id="ignorelist_change_form">
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][116401]" id="usercheck_116401" value="116401" checked="checked" type="checkbox">DanH
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][119161]" id="usercheck_119161" value="119161" checked="checked" type="checkbox">FALCONAROUND
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][114102]" id="usercheck_114102" value="114102" checked="checked" type="checkbox">FEandGoingBroke
  • <input name="listbits[ignore][112501]" id="usercheck_112501" value="112501" checked="checked" type="checkbox">thekingofazle
</form></fieldset>

I'm NOT goading you you damn CHILD! YOU got effing SMARMY in this guy's post and I called your butt out to ANSWER it. Then you STILL refrained from answering then the above post. You should be ashamed of your behavior! And all this here time I TOLD you that I wasn't playing your game anymore yet you kept it up on post #3 on this very thread..

Dammit man! You still haven't read last thread we were arguing in where I laid bare my intentions towards you and apologized for the behavior I was exhibiting. If you can't grow up with me why the hell are you even still here?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You guys are absolutley wreaking this forum. What a bunch of jerks. The people overseeing this thing should block all of you.......

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Sorry 67coup, I guess I overstretched the boundaries again in post #3 and #13. I'm sorry for behaving like an asswhole and asking kultulz to actually make a helpful statement after his first reply...

My bad. Won't happen again.

P.S. If you banned all the guy's that do this, the site would become a ghost town again and hardly anybody would get any answers....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts