Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a new member and just purchased a 66 428! I'm currently having the transmission rebuilt with a shifter kit and I also just had put in a 4.10 posi rear differential. I'm looking to get more power out of the car... can anyone suggest things I can do to increase power? I know the exhaust is one, any recommendations on good inexpensive one? Are there any the will bolt on without custom/welding? Any other tips to make my ride fly would be GREAT!!!

Thanks,
M

·
Registered
981 Posts
Basically for bolt on's, get some headers too! I'm pretty sure the 428 in these has good power, but maybe go with a good intake, Edelbrock Performer and maybe a bigger cfm carb. After that, you can go internal into the engine and let your wallet decide how much power you need!!! There is just so much you can do to the top end. Maybe a better ignition and distributer/ wires/ plugs/ etc. All these things should help. Welcome to a very helpful website forum, trust me!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You have a Four Litre?

Cylinder heads on those were very similar to that of a standard 390. May want to try some Cobra Jet ones of the 1969 to 1970 era.

Wm.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Headers with a good exhaust system will wake her up.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
On 2006-09-21 18:47, coosbaylumber wrote:
You have a Four Litre?
Um...er....I think you mean a 7 liter.
If so, you have a very nice car to start with.

335 hp is a good starting point. Work on the intake side of things first, then a good exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yeah..what they said. Also though, Edelbrock heads make a very big difference! Just make sure you read the directions fully! You need different rockers and pushrods. Might be a good time to put in roller rockers. Just a thought if you are going to go with Edelbrock heads.

Otherwise welcome to the forumn and enjoy the conversation and information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts