Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put a Edelbrock carb and RPM intake on 65' 390 Galaxie, was originally a 2 barrel setup. Forgive me but I am the typical small block chevy guy and don't want to make a dozen trips to the parts store if i can help it. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not sure what your question is, but as far as gaskets you are going to need valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket set, carb to manifold gasket and thermostat gasket to get you started. You can probably reuse most of your original bolts from the intake on the new one. Not sure what kind of linkage comes on the new carb or what tranny you have so you may need a few parts to get the linkage all squared away.

As for actually doing it, drain your coolant. Remove thermostat housing, valve covers, distributor, push rods, carb linkage and any hoses attached to the intake. Lift off the intake and give yourself a hernia. Clean off all gasket surfaces good and reverse the removal procedure for installing the new parts. Make sure that your new intake is aligned up good so that you won't have a problem putting the distributor back in. This is the condensed version, but if you have ever changed a manifold and carb before then you shouldn't have any problems with this.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If your intake is the original you may need a new thermostat housing. Your engine will call for the big thermostat and most aftermarket ones use the small one. If this is the case just use a housing and thermostat off of a 68 Galaxie.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Getting ready to put a Edelbrock carb and RPM intake on 65' 390 Galaxie, was originally a 2 barrel setup. Forgive me but I am the typical small block chevy guy and don't want to make a dozen trips to the parts store if i can help it. Any help will be appreciated.

You are going to hate the FE motor after doing this, lol. Remember you also have to remove the rocker arms and push rods from the head as the push rods go through the intake manifold. You will need a torque wrench to do the proper torque down method on the rocker pedestals. Make sure you have some good RTV sealant for the edges front and back of the intake manifold because FEs tend to leak there.

It's not that hard, just a lot more time consuming then other motors to change out.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Remember you also have to remove the rocker arms and push rods from the head as the push rods go through the intake manifold.
Hey Mr. 667L,
I don't believe!

JC

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
like R.N.R said about dizzy alignment..
before torqing down manifold slip dizzy in place ,
make sure you can move it around with out any binding...
if there is a dowel pin in block, you most likely have to remove it since i dont think your new manifold will have provision for it and thats why you have to be aware of dizzy alignment...
also i like to use some contact cement to glue the cork end gaskets to block (just like chebby) so they dont squish out when torqing down manifold...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that had to be the worst question ever posted, I never got around to asking the question.

Thanks for all the great responses though. My original question was supposed to be about the throttle linkage and trans kick down. I went ahead and started the project today. Good Lord what a job. The manifold was so heavy, I though I missed a bolt. Got the old intake and carb off, got both heads removed, got the exhaust disconnected from the heads (much bigger job than I ever dreamed) loved getting to the four bolts underneath each head. Any who, got the two new heads bolted on and torqued down, hopefully finish sometime this week as time allows.

677litre, why will I hate the FE after?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Good Lord what a job. The manifold was so heavy, I though I missed a bolt.
:eek: that is why I made the comment about lifting off the old manifold and giving yourself a hernia. Those damn things weigh about 85lbs and when you are trying to lift one off an engine that is still in the car, it can be a big pain in the azz.

·
Registered
218 Posts
:eek: that is why I made the comment about lifting off the old manifold and giving yourself a hernia. Those damn things weigh about 85lbs and when you are trying to lift one off an engine that is still in the car, it can be a big pain in the azz.

What r.n.r said and all the other BS involved just to change a manifold out is why I said you'd hate it afterwards but I was joking around rather than stating a fact. ;)

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
You don't believe what exactly?
Hey Mr 677L,
That the Push Rods, Rockers, Rocker Shaft, and Pedestals had to come off to remove the Intake Manifold.

But I got to looking at the 1964 Ford and Mercury Shop Manual, and much to my surprise, it said what YOU said.

Who woulda thunk? :)

So NOW, I'm a believer!

JC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts