Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im building up a new motor, the base of which is a 1991 mustang lx "5.0" hydro-roller block which has had all the proper machine work done for the build. there not much of a budget for the build
what i want:
motor will be naturally aspirated!!
afr 185cc or 205cc heads?? 58cc chambers
edelbrock airgap dual quad intake manifold
cam?? no idea, old z303 cam?? something alot better?
new pistons, flat top, larger valve reliefs for cam and heads
GEAR DRIVE! dong hate, ive had a gear drive in every motor ive built (all 2 of them lol) and i love the sound
hardened pushrods
carbs?? 600cfm double pumpers?
high volume water pump
high volume oil pump
main suport girdle for the bock

what i dont know....
should i get a new rotating assembly for the build?? is it all that necessary. and if i do, should i go a 331 stroker?? just want to know if its worth the extra couple grand.
also, what kind of cam should i go for, like to be in the 400hp range.
im not changing my mind on the dual quads lol, always wanted a set-up, but is dual 600's too much fuel?

why the build??
ive always wanted to do a fantasy project build with my father but now i dont get that chance. so id like to do this build to make him proud. i dont know everything there is to know about motors, im still young. but i want to learn. so please any and all help will be great guys. i just need someone who knows this stuff way better than me to guide me in a good direction for a high powered lightly streeted (weekends and holidays hah) build

·
Registered
380 Posts
Seasoned 302 Roller Block
Milled Heads, Complete Bore Package, Bench Flow Heads, Trans Am Super Street 331 Stroker Kit, Stage II Port & Port Match Heads, Ford 289 HIPO K Code Heads, Recurve Distributor, 1.72 Stainless Intake Valves, Blueprint and Balance Engine, 1.60 Stainless Exhaust valves, Bronze Valve Guides, ARP 3/8 Rocker Studs Hardened Exhaust Seats, 5 Angle Valve Job, Isky Valve Springs, Isky Retainers, Isky 7 Degree Valve Locks, Isky HD Push Rods, Comp Cams Solid Flat Tappet Cam, ( .521 Lift 267 Dur), Comp Cams Solid Flat Tappet Lifters, Comp Cams Double Roller Timing Chain, Holley 750 CFM Double Pumper, Steel Roller Tip Rockers, ARP Stainless Engine Bolt Kit, ARP Head Bolts, ARP Cam Bolt, ARP Crank Boly, ARP Oil Pump Shaft, HV Oil Pump, HV Aluminum Water Pump, MSD Distributor, MSD 6A Ignition Control, HD 40,000 Volt Coil, 8MM Spark Plug Wires, FelPro Gaskets, 5 Quart Oil Pan, 5 Quart Oil Pan Pick,Edelbrock Dual Plane Performer Intake HIPO Style Harmonic Balancer, HP Fuel Pump

This is what is in my '65. I bought the engine already built but the guy that did it was way more knowledgeable than I am. His creation produced 408 HP at 6000 RPM with 364 lb./ft of torque on regular gas. Originally about $7200.00 I picked it up for 5 grand. Couldn't pass it up. Good luck on your build.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
DSS 331 Forged stroker kit is around $900.
That's the kit I used when I had my motor built.

I'm over 400HP at the crank.

CI solid roller cam, Canfield heads, 650 Edel carb.

I would say dual 600's would be over carbed.
But I don't know much.

Jet

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If your going to do a stroker go right to the 347..No reason not too and the extra cubes will help burn the extra fuel those dual quads will dish out.. ;)
Head selection will depend on how racey you want to get but the AFR 185s would be a good choice out of those you listed..
The letter cams are ancient technology..For a good running dual quad setup I would go with a custom camshaft to make sure this all works well together as a package...Whomever you choose to do the camshaft can also give you good advice in sizing the carbs etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming. Thinking of going to comp cams for a custom grind, and deffinately taking the 347 route. I do have another crucial question. What type of compression should I want to be at? Is 11-1 too high for a "reliable" weekend warrior... or is that typical in a big stroked motor?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
11:1 is definetely pushing the limits of pump gas...I would shoot for something closer to 10-10.5:1 since you are starting from scratch..

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm running AFR185's on my 347 with a single 750DP Proform and a Comp roller (sig below or Garage for more detals if you'd like). As was said the Ford cams are fairly tame. Comp also makes cams just for strokers now so I'd just call and ask them.

Summit and Jegs both sell a pair of Holley 450's (or twin 600's) that are already set up for quad applications like this.

In my opinion you don't really need a special water pump, just one that works. If the cooling system is correct it will run as cool as you need it to. Mine took some planning and trail an error but now runs 165-170 degrees in any condition I've thrown at it including dead stop on 100+ degree day. The highest it's seen on the guage so far is 185! :tup:

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts