Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made the appointment for Thursday for the new exhaust for the Galaxie.

I want 2 chamber Flowmasters with 2 1/2 inch pipe. The guy said he did'nt think the 3 inch pipe would clear by the gas tank over the axle.

He charges $75.00 extra for a h-pipe to be added and I guess I will have him add one for that?

Should I consider a x- pipe for this combo?

Would the h pipe be worth the extra $75.00?

He is doing the whole system for $470,that's mufflers,h-pipe and tailpipes run all the way back and coming out behind the rear wheels.

He does alot of the "hot cars" around here so I have seen the quality of his work and it's real good.

Any ideas about the choices I have before he starts on the car Thurs?

P.S. for those of you who don't know the combo I have it's a 1966 Galaxie with a 0.30 over 428,Shelby "Sidewider" intake,780 Holley,long tube headers,4 speed,3.70 gears,mild Crane cam.

I'm changing the cam and rocker system out for a bigger one using the upgraded roller rocker system in about a month.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would go X pipe it could be cheaper if you have a shop make you X pipe, out here in Los Angeles there about 45-55 bucks. It improves low end torque and may increase HP. I also heard that we should avoid the X pipe and chambered muffler combo, but im still gonna put it on the mustang with side exaust ports, I guess ill learn the hard way huh
Kenny

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The H-pipe will help scavange more exaust gasses out, theoretically. The flows will sound cool on there no doubt. The price he is charging is fair, so don't worry about getting ripped off. The two chamber with that size pipe will give the effect of a hot motor, unlike if you went to the 3" where you'd sound like you had a stock motor with a nice exaust system. Does that make sense? Already having a car with flows, I'm going a different route. I've never heard this combo, but I'm gonna give it a try; single chamber flows going into glass packs. I've heard of cars using different lengths of glass packs to change the pitch of the car, so I figure I'll give it a try on my merc. If it doesn't work, I'll just use the glass packs. Good luck and definatly go with the H-pipe!

·
Registered
522 Posts
The H pipe should be used. Most all Fords used an H with dual exhaust. My wagon with its little 352 even came with one. As far as mufflers go I think the Flowmasters have an annoying sound and cost too much. The wagon has recently had a pair of Afterburners added to it and has a very nice sound. They were $ 39.95 ea from JEG'S. Last year I bought a pair of DynoMax mufflers for my 70 they had a rebate of $ 25 per pair. They were less than the cost of 1 Flowmaster. There are currently rebates for DynoMax @ JEG'S.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
That engine DEFINITELY needs 3" for top performance. I'd run 3" back to a set of 3" mufflers, then weld a set of header collector rings to the outlets to allow the tailpipes to be removable.

You can simply weld a set of header reducers to the inlets of the tailpipes to make them removable. If you want to be able to run 3" turndowns in their place, just weld a collector ring to them... Want sidepipes? Weld rings to those as well.

It's the ultimate street exhaust... that can be changed with your mood.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow...Exaust is expensive where you live! I payed $300 and i got dual 2 1/2 inch with dual chamber flows and an H-pipe. he also got the manifold flanges that i didnt have and he also got all the mounting hardware to hang the exaust. Another thing i didnt have. My friend payed about the same at another shop and got the same thing. On your setup id go with the 3" pipe into dual chamber flows with the H-Pipe. I think that would sound best. Good Luck! Ryan

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would do the following: buy an x-pipe, lots for sale on E Bay,and buy your own muffs from Summit or Jegs,that way you get what you need and want and pay this guy for the tubing fabrication and welding, ask Him what his Cash money price is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts