Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this '62 and I'm trying to straighten out some details. The car has the 144 and 3-speed. The carburetor needs to be rebuilt but it seems someone installed a Holley 1940 in place of the original Holley 1909. Also, the previous owner replaced the air cleaner with a cheap aftermarket unit and then crudely modified it to fit the carb. I purchased an original air cleaner according to year and it will not fit either carb.

So my questions are: Which carb is correct? I assume it's the 1909 as that is what is listed everywhere I look for a '62. Am I missing something between the carb and air cleaner? It definitely won't fit the 1909 and even doesn't fit the 1940. Also, is the 1940 a good carb for this car and what would it have been originally installed on?

Thanks,

Jason

Here's a few shots of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FE, here are some pics of the carb and air cleaner.

After a little checking, I found the air cleaner is actually for a '60-'61 or a '62 170 Special. It probably won't do me any good. I'm really just trying to get it back to stock for now.

Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't see a spark control valve on that carb so unless the distributor has also been replaced with a non Load-a-matic you won't be able to get the car to run right. My recently purchased 63 also came with the wrong carb but I've finally tracked down the correct Autolite 1100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts