Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just registered with this site. Found a 1971 Ford Galaxie 500 today and planning to pick her up Saturday (8/24/13). She is in pretty good shape and I can't wait to start getting into her....will need a good cleaning and a little TLC but I think she'll be drivable while fixing up. Will be posting questions and pics as soon as I bring her home. She has a 351, not sure if it is a "C" or "W", automatic - 2 door. Appreciate any "what to look for" comments. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Welcome- as for 'to look for', IMO #1 thing is frame rust, its soo common on these if they were ever in salt even a little. torqueboxes behind front wheels, and arches in front of rear wheels most common bad areas, rear of rear arches can go too, but usually there will be heavier issues forward...hope yours is clean, cant beat the ride of these big fords :)

back in 1980, my second ford was a 71 4dr hdtp, 400 2V...my Mom traded in her big gold 1977 LTD on a new little black mustang. first night she had it, I went to back out of the drive, dark as heck out, no big gold ltd...yep I backed right into her new car. I got out and figured the worst, but didnt even make a scratch or scuff on her car...looked and looked- WOW did I luck out. turned around and my rear bumper was laying on the ground, rusty frame busted off towards front of trunk, couldnt believe it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I picked up the "71" Galaxie 500 yesterday (8/24/13). After pulling the cover off (garage where it sat) obviously we found the battery dead. We put on a "Power Pack" jumper but the starter just clicked, solenoid - who knows. We then decided to push her out and put her on some "tow dollies"...well...every wheel turned except for the front passenger. Remember this thing was parked (driven) into the garage 12 years ago. So after some crawling underneath, a little "hammering"...the wheel stayed stuck. Now I didn't bring enough tools to remove the wheel and see the problem, plus remember the seller "sold" the car, didn't really want me dong mechanical work...just get the car out. So, here comes the flat bed. After getting her home (storage garage area), I immediately began by getting the interior clean...it was "coated" with a dusting of "mold". She still has the "plastic seat covers" on. Well, the front cover came off the rear remain and a good cleaning took place. End of that day. Today; 8/25/13 going to see if she will crank over - new battery and lets see what happen. Just wanted to give an update. P.S. Oil change sticker on the window showed next oil change suggested @ 56,000 miles...there's 54,000 miles on the odometer....pulled the dipstick and the oil looked clean. Remember, this was a "One Owner", "Parked for 12 Years (covered-garaged)" Ford Galaxie 500, my opinion...worth the work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts