Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a”project” 67 convertible and a1994 Lincoln town car. The older gentleman was going to do a swap but time ran out for him. Is this a viable swap or should I just try to repair the frame where it is Rusted?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I just got a”project” 67 convertible and a1994 Lincoln town car. The older gentleman was going to do a swap but time ran out for him. Is this a viable swap or should I just try to repair the frame where it is Rusted?
Hello aronsonrk,

In order to help answer your question to the best of my ability, it would be helpful to understand a little more. Are you looking for just a quick frame replacement and still keeping the '67 relatively original? Or are you after some kind of enormous and expensive retrofit project?

The 1994 Panther (Lincoln Town Car, Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria) frame is not compatible with a 3rd generation full size Ford (1965-1968). It would take enormous amounts of fabrication and modification to the '67 to make it work properly with the '94 frame. Plus the 2V 4.6 litre modular V8 out of the Lincoln is a just a slug anyway. I have a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (same chassis/driveline as your Lincoln) as winter/backup car.

If you want to keep the expense and time way down low, then you should look for a decent frame or fix the rust on yours if it's not too far gone. The body has to come off anyway, so it's a good time to replace mounts and suspension bushings as well go through everything else since you're there.

1965-1968 frames are mostly the same. There are differences, however there are 3 classes of frames from these years; station wagon, convertible and all others (sedan, hardtop, 2 door and 4 door).

The year changes are:

1965 uses a different mounting scheme for its rear panhard bar, so if you use a 1965 frame make sure it comes with the 1965 Ford 9" housing at least.

1965-1966 frames run their parking brake cables in the centre and spread out in a 'V' to the rear brakes. They also use a smaller bushing rear upper control arm.

1967-1968 frames use a larger bushing rear upper control arm and have the parking brake cables moved over to the side.

If worse came to worse and you are good with a TIG or MIG welder and metal fabrication you could turn a non convertible frame into a convertible frame. Forget station wagon frames altogether.

How badly rusted is your '67 frame?

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts