Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, My name is mark from Minnesota. I live in a small town south of rochester mn. I have a 2003 mustang that is modded pretty good. I'm 20 years old working as an electrician. I was looking for a galaxie for quite some time and i finally found one. Its a 1967 Galaxie 500 fastback with 53k miles on the stock 390. It has long tube headers, intake and 4 barrel. 370 gears and a spool. I paid 2900 bucks for it and it has no rust at all. Pretty much stole it from the guy. I was going back and forth between 427 and the 390. I'm pretty sure I'm going to build up the 390 and throw a 88mm turbo at it. Gunna be a sleeper inteal i can afford to paint it and do some bodywork to it. I'm going to leave the 9inch and the c6 in it and rebuild them to hold up for some big power. I'm gunna need some help over the next few months on what i should do for parts and such. Ill post some more pics up when i get a chance.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Mark! So you found your classic, eh? :tup: Strap-in for some opinions on your ride and how you should do it. But, that's what you're here for, right?

Classics are cool, because even if they're not going fast, folks love to wave, honk, or give thumb-ups. Can't do that in most newer cars.

Anyway, I may as well start the process. Be sure to give a specific list of what you want the car to do, so others can make better suggestions for directions to go. Be aware, the FE is a strong engine, but is expensive to build compared to other engine types, is RPM limited without lots of cash, and is more difficult to run with boost on pump gas. If wanting to stay classic but have an easier time making power to move that weight, you might consider a Lime (429/460) engine. They are less expensive to build, and capable of not only more power per dollar, but more total power capability without extensive mods.

On the other hand, a turbo'ed FE is definitely different, and very cool in it's own way. If you're not planning to race it for bragging rights or beat everyone on the dyno, then it's an option. Be sure to do all your homework before committing to a particular path. What you use and how you control it will be very effective or very expensive depending on choices you make early-on. Your Galaxie, the 9" and the C6 are a very solid platform.

How did you figure an 88mm turbo would be the best choice on the 390?

David

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the introduction man. Nothing at no means is set in stone on what I want to do here. I dont really know **** about carb/ these older motors. More into the modular ford motors. Im not lookiny at drag racing this car at all. Just want a fun street car. I was thinking the 88mm bcs its sort of a happy medium size turbo. The more info the better for engine and money. I dont want to cut or fab anything on the car that I couldn't change in 10 years if I wanted to restore it. Im not looking to have a 15k motor either. Thank you
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Mark, I'm from a little town just west of Rochester. I like your ideas, I see you said your not intocarbs as much as Fuel Injection, we just put a MSD Atomic on a sm block in a 50 Plymouth a couple weeks ago, great setup, something to look into. Keep us posted on your plans.....oh yeah and Welcome!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts