Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new gas tank from Auto City Classic in MN, this 2 yrs ago, it looks like bare steel. What has everyone done to coat it, or is it good, just install and go? I like the look, factory look rather than black or paint at all, but what's everyone's input on refinishing?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I plan to paint mine a color close to bare metal just to protect that expensive tank. It would look odd too me for it to be black since you can see it from the back.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
There is a really cool stuff that is kinda red in color and you can get it at a place that repairs fuel tanks. You put it in and slosh, kinda tough since it's pretty thick, it around to coat the whole inside. You'll never have a problem. I would then probably use POR 15 or Bill Hirsh Miracle paint on it. Never rust and probably never chip. Man you must really be smokin and puttin things back together! I am jealous! I still have a few more days before my new cd player and Carlisle spinners show up. Hope everything is going smooth.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I bought one from Concours last year. I used Eastwood's self-etching primer and then sprayed that puppy gold with Krylon. It came out looking very good and has stayed with no chips and dirt wipes right off.

·
Subscriber
188 Posts
Mine was galvanized, but I sprayed the top of the tank with eastwood's rust encap. after scuffing with some 320 grit. I might put some por15 in the bottom at some point.

-Will

P.S. Deb, when are you finally going to give up and put the 460 in?????

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will, checked you're www diary, very nice. Seems we are building pretty much the same car. I take it from all your replies that something has to be applied so I will, probably a POR product or Eastwood. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
I wanted to use up some of my paint before we move so mine is cast metal color I think is what I used and then the straps are bright green.
They have clear paints you can use on that and then you can keep that natural color that way.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news, they got back to me saying that the tank is made with coating, something in the steel and I should install as is and go. Cool, but I'll watch for any changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts