Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys ~ So I'm sure that there is a thread already about this and I just haven't done a thorough enough search. I have taken apart the front suspension of my 65 to replace some older parts (ball joints, bushings, etc.) I wanted to lower the car considerably with a "3 drop so I cut 1 coil off the front springs. I was wondering if anybody has any idea just how much cutting off 1 coil would drop the front end?.? I know there are a lot of variables to consider, such as engine size (352) but was wondering if anyone had idea if I should cut off another 1/2 coil or something?.? Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Seems like I read another 1/2 coil will get you the 3 inches. But don't hold me to it, it might be more than 3" if you leave the ass end of the car up in the air.

Got any pics of the car? Go 65's !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. Yeah I thought that ultimately I would have to cut more than one coil but I think I will stay with what I have and test it out. I can always cut more if I want to later on.

I am replacing the lower ball joints. I assume that now that I have the Lower control arm dropped and the spring out it will just take a couple taps to remove the ball joints?.? I haven't really looked at it yet. I also destroyed the boot while banging it with the pickle fork, so I hope that its included.

Hope this pic attaches. Thanks again guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
The stock ball joints are riveted on and have to be cut out... well, they were on mine atleast.

Also, I would recommend getting the better Moog balljoints rather than masterpro or similar. I bought the masterpro ball joints and the boots were not long enough, it was missing the thin retainer plate (which gets destroyed when removing the ball joint), and the stud itself was too long which would have changed my alignment and geometry on the one side I was replacing.

Regarding the springs, keep in mind that if you cut coils on stock spring rate springs, you could run into bottoming out issues. Usually when you lower a car, you have to increase the spring rate because you are decreasing overall suspension travel.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone has been really helpful on this forum. So I was able to drill a pilot hole and punch out the rivets on one side. Ball joint popped right out. One side left to go. Expecting to start the rebuild on Monday. Thank again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got the front suspension apart and back together with no problems. Parts, specs, and procedures were all in the 65 ford service manual. Replaced the ball joints and sway bar bushings. I ended up cutting 1 1/4 coils of the stock springs and have had no issues or rubbing as of yet. The car itself seems to be listing, however. In other words, the right side seems to dip lower than the right despite the springs being identical in length and both seated properly. It might be the uneveness of the driveway or just that the springs haven't settled yet. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Anything that comes to mind that might be causing it? Again, the driveway is uneven but it seems to lean while driving too.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Generally the drivers side coil is a little longer to compensate for the weight of the driver.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Generally the drivers side coil is a little longer to compensate for the weight of the driver.
Correct. Most applications use a different spring rate driver to passenger to compensate for driver weight, AC Comp. etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts