Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a dream vehicle. I traded my old 93 explorer 4x4 for a 77 ranchero. I have always loved the older ranchero's because of the long hoods and the larger engines. Anyway, I have one problem that I would like to throw out to the forum.
On the first start of the day, I have to pump the gas pedal about 5 times and pump it several times while cranking to get it started. The person I got it from said that the fuel goes back to the tank and the carb looses it prime. Does this mean the fuel pump is bad? Or is there something wrong with the carb?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome to FMF and congrats on your Ranchero. As for your hard starting. We need more information. Is it just early in the morning or is it every time you start the car? If it's just early morning, look into your choke setting. If it happens every time you try to start the car... then it can be a number of things. Carburetor rebuild and basic tune-up is likely needed. Get an idea how your new girl runs and it's quirks. Let us know in detail what she's doing and we will try to help you out. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is only hard to start frist thing in the morning. The reset of the day it starts first time every time. I have drove ity about 300 miles so far and enjoy it alot. It has alot of minor things wrong that will be fixed as time goes along. Soemthing I found interesting is the spare tire. it is new. It is raised white lettered GOODYEAR H70-14. It is a biased ply tire and it still has the little mold nibbs on the rubber. I think it is the original tire. It is not weather cracked and still in exellent condition. Too bad it will be replaced next month when I buy the girl some new shoes. But the car is fun to drive. Lots of power and it sure does turn some heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts