Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellow falconers...i just bought a '63 falcon and i'm about to start making it "my own". the few specs i know is it has a 170 inline 6 (not a '63) and a new tranny....haha...i paid $3900 for it and its my daily driver. few problems so far...the shifter sleeve (dont know what its called) on the column is broke at the retainer pin so i have to be careful when shifting into drive/park etc...i pulled the wheel and all that good stuff but got stuck at the blinker wires....i cant find where to disconnect them. i heard there should be a plug at the bottom of the column but there isnt....the wires lead to the firewall and is met up with a bunch of other wires......any suggestions on what to do??? also every so often the headlights will just turn off.....i have to step on the highbeams then again to turn them off and the headlights will stay on....im pretty confused about this one.....also any suggestions on lowering the front...im gonna put blocks in the rear but have no idea how to lower the front. what size tires are stock? it seems to have extra meaty tires on now.....

thanks for all the help in advance and i look forward to talking with all of you in the future!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
WOW, good looking Falcon, a keeper for sure. No idea on the factory tire size(s) that were offered. (yeah those look a little oversized to me too) If FE (or several other Falconeers) will ever pop in he can guide you on the rest of your 'gremlins'. First thought it might be the light switch but going to high beam to "fix" it kind of rules that out. Maybe they have a relay I really dont know.

WELCOME to the forum, ask questions shoot the s^%t and have fun with your newly acquired toy.

MRO.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It sounds like a bad beam selector switch is the headlight problem. If not, then the headlight switch is getting hot and needs replaced or wire up some relays to take the load off the switch. The turn signal wires disconnect individually. If you pull the wires you will need a fish to pull the wires back through the column. Stock tires were 6.50x13” or in today’s numbers 185/70x13

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Not a bad Falcon. But I think you'll find that it's a 200 not a 170. The one freeze plug I see is in the wrong position for a 170 block... I think you'll find 5 freeze plugs.

You better not be spam dammit!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Spam....i like to eat spam....mmmmm....haha....

Thats good to know...is there any other way for me to check so i can be sure? And how can i find out what transmission i have?

One of the main issues im worried about is in the summer she overheats when it gets 100+....the radiator was checked and its fine so is the temp gauge....any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I was told to remove the temp gauge all together and that should solve the overheating issue....

SO SOME THINGS IM WORKING ON NOW LOOKS WISE IS....

LOWERING ALL AROUND....4" BLOCKS IN THE REAR AND STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THE FRONT

BULLET PUSH THRUS WITH BULLET LUG NUTS...

AND ADRESSING THE CURRENT "GREMLINS" HAHA....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Spam....i like to eat spam....mmmmm....haha....

Thats good to know...is there any other way for me to check so i can be sure? And how can i find out what transmission i have?

One of the main issues im worried about is in the summer she overheats when it gets 100+....the radiator was checked and its fine so is the temp gauge....any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I was told to remove the temp gauge all together and that should solve the overheating issue....

SO SOME THINGS IM WORKING ON NOW LOOKS WISE IS....

LOWERING ALL AROUND....4" BLOCKS IN THE REAR AND STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THE FRONT

BULLET PUSH THRUS WITH BULLET LUG NUTS...

AND ADRESSING THE CURRENT "GREMLINS" HAHA....
If the car already doesn't have a fan shroud on it that is something you DEFINETLY WANT TO PUT ON! Also move any fuel lines away from heated areas as you could get vapor lock. That is a problem I had on my 65 falcon. The big thing why you are overheating could be you aren't getting enough airflow to the radiator. Also check your thermostat to make sure it isn't stuck. Just my $0.02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts