Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
67 Fairlane 500XL. Planning on a 32 valve 4.6, 4r70w swap
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy to this forum. I recently found a 67 Fairlane 500 XL. I'd been looking for one passively for a few years so when I found it, I was eager to get it home. It's a very solid project but does need a lot of work. It has not drivetrain, but it came with a rebuild able 351w... Looks like all trim and some extra pieces are in the trunk. I'll have to redo a rear quarter panel that was kind of half ass done, a couple small spots in the floor pan, and then repaint. I also found some old, non- repaired rust on the bottom of the passenger door.
As far as drivetrain, I just found a 94 Lincoln MK VIII with the Teksid 32 valve motor and plan to freshen it up, notch the shock towers and use it and the trans as well as most of the donor car wiring. I'm looking at possibly adapting the suspension from the Lincoln too. Not too sure how plausible this is, thus joining the forum. Anyone have any insight?
Pulled off the Data plate last night to decode it. Someone had painted over it. From what I gathered, the car was originally lime green metallic with gold interior. Not my cup of tea, so I'm leaning toward the current blue/ purple color currently on there (blue is my thing... 66 mustang, super duty, wife's expedition, my Indian, and my Scout are all blue ...).
It originally was a 289, 4 speed car, built in Kansas City and sold around the Seattle DSO.
I'm not new to projects, muscle cars, or Fords but this drivetrain swap will be new to me. I've got limited experience with the mod motors but am eager to learn.
This one is going to be a cruiser with power steering, brakes, automatic trans, overdrive, AC... I want my wife to want to take it to work or road trips with our dogs. Maybe power tour.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Blue

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent some time yesterday just cleaning out the chicken nest material left in the car and going through the extra parts the PO left in the car and trunk. Looks like all the trim is there, possibly with some extra pieces. There's an extra set of tail lights, glove box door, and heater box/ plenum. The door sill plates I did see were beat up and will likely need replaced. Being a 4 speed car originally, Someone covered the hole in the tunnel with a piece of sheet metal and screws. I'll clean that up eventually.
I'm doing some research on the mod motor swap and rebuild. These things are pricey to work on so I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I originally thought of just doing a top end and timing set but now I'm considering at least honing the cylinders and with the high mileage I'm considering rods and Pistons.
In order to fit the wide beast between the fenders I'll definitely have to notch them. What kind of suspension is everyone running when this is done? Just a coilover with the stock a arms? Or tubular uppers? I had considered removing the shock towers completely with a mustang 2 front end but read this is frowned upon as it reduces the structural integrity of the frame. Could I adapt the Lincoln suspension to fit fairly easily?
I have to finish up my daughter's explorer before I can get either the Fairlane or Lincoln into my shop and on the lift for more detailed inspection.

· Registered
79 Posts
I spent some time yesterday just cleaning out the chicken nest material left in the car and going through the extra parts the PO left in the car and trunk. Looks like all the trim is there, possibly with some extra pieces. There's an extra set of tail lights, glove box door, and heater box/ plenum. The door sill plates I did see were beat up and will likely need replaced. Being a 4 speed car originally, Someone covered the hole in the tunnel with a piece of sheet metal and screws. I'll clean that up eventually.
I'm doing some research on the mod motor swap and rebuild. These things are pricey to work on so I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I originally thought of just doing a top end and timing set but now I'm considering at least honing the cylinders and with the high mileage I'm considering rods and Pistons.
In order to fit the wide beast between the fenders I'll definitely have to notch them. What kind of suspension is everyone running when this is done? Just a coilover with the stock a arms? Or tubular uppers? I had considered removing the shock towers completely with a mustang 2 front end but read this is frowned upon as it reduces the structural integrity of the frame. Could I adapt the Lincoln suspension to fit fairly easily?
I have to finish up my daughter's explorer before I can get either the Fairlane or Lincoln into my shop and on the lift for more detailed inspection.

· Registered
79 Posts
i think you might want to look at the mustang 2 as you are going to need all the room possible they are tight on the cars that they came in take some careful measurements of the width and the area you need and add a little for aligning also im not sure how tight the tunnel is on your 67 but my 64 had no room for my tko600 by a long shot i was told it needed a little modification that was bull it needed a complete chop out plus driveshaft clearance ect was not initially an issue until it was in place have fun !!

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think you might want to look at the mustang 2 as you are going to need all the room possible they are tight on the cars that they came in take some careful measurements of the width and the area you need and add a little for aligning also im not sure how tight the tunnel is on your 67 but my 64 had no room for my tko600 by a long shot i was told it needed a little modification that was bull it needed a complete chop out plus driveshaft clearance ect was not initially an issue until it was in place have fun !!
I considered the mustang II, but it's pricier than cutting the towers and from what I've read, it compromises the structural integrity to an extent. The notch kits I've seen say they'll work for mod motors, specifically the 5.0. I haven't seen the actual dimensions of the coyote vs my 4.6, but I think they're close.
Need to get my daughter's explorer out of my shop so I can get the motor pulled and measure everything myself...

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the trans on my daughter's explorer pulled today so I'm one step closer to getting the Lincoln into the shop to start pulling the drivetrain.
Yesterday, I sold my core Windsor motor for a couple hundred bucks and some credit at the guy's machine shop. He's going to hone the Teksid block and clean it up for me. I'll have another buddy who owns a machine shop do the heads. Still looking for a master rebuild kit and still not sure what pistons I'll use or if I'll replace the rods too. I do think I'm going to use flat tops for a little more compression.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Tire Automotive design

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New coilovers came in a couple days ago. No instructions and the website was no help but assembly was pretty straight forward. Still need the shop space before I get the Fairlane in to start notching the shock towers. Haven't decided yet on which kit to use or if I just want to free hand it. Leaning towards a kit just so I can ensure symmetry.
Also had a guy take a look at the passenger side quarter panel last night. Found the whole panel from the body line down was replaced. They just didn't do a great job. Probably need to dig out the 1/8th inch of Bondo and pull the panel outward some then completely reweld the spot welds originally used. Other than the quarter panel and a patch at the very bottom of the passenger door I'll need to make, and two small spots in the floor pan, the car is very solid. Much better starting point than I had with the mustang...

· Registered
13 Posts
Man. I don't know. The 4.6 dohc is 30" wide! A 460 is only 26", the coyote is 28". I don't think any amount of notching short of tower removal is gonna get it to fit. Most of the "weakened frame" info I've seen originated from folks selling strut type front ends. By almost universal opinion, those are garbage. Probably 1000+ Mustang 2 kits have been installed in early Fords, never heard of one collapsing to death. More room for exhaust, probably can use the stock 4.6 rear sump oil pan, and actual R&P power steering instead of the leak prone Ford power ram system.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man. I don't know. The 4.6 dohc is 30" wide! A 460 is only 26", the coyote is 28". I don't think any amount of notching short of tower removal is gonna get it to fit. Most of the "weakened frame" info I've seen originated from folks selling strut type front ends. By almost universal opinion, those are garbage. Probably 1000+ Mustang 2 kits have been installed in early Fords, never heard of one collapsing to death. More room for exhaust, probably can use the stock 4.6 rear sump oil pan, and actual R&P power steering instead of the leak prone Ford power ram system.
I'll have more final decisions made once I can pull the motor and measure how wide and at what height I'll need to cut on the towers. The kits I've seen online say the notching will clear the DOHC, but they also remove the UCA mount. My hope is the Shelby drop will allow me to cut low enough to clear the motor and keep the stock suspension with the coilovers. The coilovers should allow me to cut more as well.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have pics of a shock tower notched, but with the UCA mount retained? Lowered, Shelby drop UCA mount is perfect... Trying to visualize what I am going to need to do, and is it going to be worth it to buy a kit (that removes the UCA) and modify it, or simply fabricate something myself (not super confident/ competent in my ability to do this cleanly...). I've been searching online and found some old posts elsewhere, but they are all too old. The pictures no longer show. I am encouraged to read others have done this before me, but I'd like to see what they did. I'll be able to take some extra material out by running the coilovers, too. Need to reach at least 30.5 inches between the towers to fit this DOHC beast. Preferably more so I can fit some headers in there. I'm pretty sure I can get the width up higher on the towers and hopefully won't need as much down lower by the UCA mount, as the bottom of the V (block skirt) is narrower than the width up at the heads. Still waiting for my daughter's transmission to be finished so I can get her car outta my shop.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took a quick measurement on my towers for reference... They're right at 29" at the very top. I'll need to shave at least 3/4" from each side to start to give me 30.5" up top ( to clear 30" on the DOHC motor. I think with the coilovers it'll be very doable. Might take even more meat off the bones for added clearance... 1/2" is not much wiggle room.
If I can find some really tight fitting shorty headers I think I can fit them. I'll really need to see how it all fits later. Getting eager to pull the Lincoln into my shop and getting to work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts