Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Just joined the forum, I've got a '65 Futura that I'm currently working on. I'm currently running 185 70 13s and I have a chance to get a set of original Ford rims with 185 80 13s with whitewalls. Will these work? I'm not that clued in on the finer points of tire sizing & I don't know a lot about going from 70 to 80. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hoping to post a pic of the car soon. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Try this link. It will show you what the difference will be in the two tire sizes.

Tire size calculator

And welcome to the forum. looking forward to the pictures!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link! I've been on a quest to get a better understanding of tires and that helped a lot. I'll most likely run the new tires this summer since my existing tires are bald and scary to drive. I'll probably upgrade to 14s eventually, but for now I'm really into driving the Futura with the smaller tires & drum brakes. Gives it that 1965 driving experience :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
You are very welcome. Glad I could help a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks colkerr! I talked to some local guys but got a lot of misinformation. They made it sound like it would be dangerous to drive slightly taller tires. After doing a bit more additional research, I realized it wasn't that big of a deal. So I really appreciate your help. Wish everyone around here was as knowledgeable.

An added bonus of this whole part of the project is that I'll now have a set of 4 Ford rims & hubcaps, which I can sell to finance the next phase of the project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts