Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
A carb has three fuel metering circuits. The one it idles off of is called the idle circuit and is controlled by the needle screws at the bottom front. 1 and 1/2 turns out is the index setting. In is lean out is rich.

The main circuit is what the carb runs off of when you are under normal driving conditions. It's controlled by the main jets located in the bottom of the fuel bowl. Odds are your jets are pretty worn. Check them for trash like FE said.

The last circuit is the power circuit and it is controlled by the power valve on the bottom of the carb. It allows extra fuel in when the engine vacuum changes under load. A bad power valve will give poor fuel economy and hard warm starts.

How long has it been since the carb was rebuilt? 2100's are the best carb to cut your teeth on. Very simple design, cheap rebuild kits, hard to screw up really.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Tore down, cleaned and rebuilt the carb. I believe the overflow problem was because the wire spring thingy on the float assembly (the one that snaps on the bar and the lip on the pump inlet) had gotten loose, which meant the float wasn't doing anything.

I also replaced the starter (which died on me in the parts store parking lot), got new plugs, and Accel wires, coil, and their points eliminator kit and the truck purrs like a kitten now.

It still runs hot, and there are cold spots so I'm going to take it to a radiator guy and have him tell me if it's salvageable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So me and the wife make a run to Wally World in the Goose. It's been running great since I put in a new timing chain, fuel pump, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, Accel wires, new plugs, Accel Super Stock coil, and their points eliminator kit - although it's been running hot according to the temp gauge on the f600 dash I also installed.

So we pull out of the parking space an we're about to leave the lot when the truck sputters and dies. I coast into another spot and try to restart it with no luck. long story short, the carb is bone dry and getting no fuel. I pull the fuel filter and it's clear. I pull the metal fuel line and it's clear. I then crank the engine and fuel shoots out the pump.

I then had to, due to messed up threads on the metal fuel line, go and install a rubber fuel line and make sure fuel comes out of it. I hooked it up to the carb, made sure it was squirting fuel, and cranked it. It turned over and over....BOOOM! :eek:

The truck gave the loudest backfire through the exhaust. I cranked it up and I obviously had a hole in the pipes now. I also had what looked like a dead cat coming out from under the back end.

Here's what happened when it backfired:

I drove it home with a very loud exhaust, and with the truck wanting to die at stops.

So now I'm left wondering why my carb was getting no fuel...why it blew a muffler, and whether or not my engine might've been damaged in the process.

I need some thoughts and recommendations.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ah man, that sucks. Well, the fact that unburned fuel was in your exhaust leads me to a possible flooding issue. That it ignited could be due to a poor sealing exhaust valve or residual exhaust heat. But to me it still sounds like there are carb issues.

You say the truck was running great on the way to the store? Idling was okay too? Was it hard to start when you first came out of the store before it sputtered and died?

The fact that the carb was dry but that the pump works fine makes me think the carb leaking down and flooding. Check your dipstick. Does the oil smell like gas or has the oil level risen? If so, it's definitely flooding and you need an oil change because the gasoline has diluted it.

If the carb is flooding the cylinders it could be from a bad power valve or the bowl percolating since you engine might be running hot.

What do you mean by the dead cat coming out of the back?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I meant the fiber stuff that's inside the muffler, looks like the maker stuffed a wig in there.

The backfire also made a nasty leak at the collector, so next week I'm getting headers put on along with pipes and glasspacks. I'm kinda liking the nasty, loud muffler sound it has now. Funny since my Ford now sounds like a Chevy.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts