Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to the Forum/page. I didn't see anything Cougar related, so I figured that since it is a sister car to the Mustang I would introduce myself here. I have a '68 Cougar base (289 c4), '65 Galaxie 500 XL (289 c4), a '76 LTD coupe (351M c6), and a '79 Tbird Town Landau (actually the wife's but I drive it all the time). I've pretty much been a Ford/Fomoco guy all my life starting with falling in love with my Mom's '71 Cyclone GT (429 Thunderjet), Dad had a '68 Cougar at the time (the reason I have one now. Always wanted one). Mom also had a '71 Comet GT at the time. She worked for a Lincoln/Merc dealer as a payroll clerk when I was a wee lad.

So with that, I'm am on a steering project with my '68 (new control valve, cylinder boot kit, hoses) thanks to the previous owner not either making some clearance between the headers the old fashioned way (heat and a hammer) or by way of a dropped bracket. My question:Could someone send me or post some pics of the proper hose routing from the pump to the control valve on a '68 as I am pretty sure that coming from the oil pan, around the headers/exhaust, and into the control valve is NOT the way it was intended from the factory(surprised I didn't have a hose burst). I just want to do this once. Anyhow, I have my own ideas, and the factory bracket (unused by the P.O.) is still there so I know that will be a start.

I love this car (actually all of them I own), but think that the engineers missed an opportunity to simplify the steering by not going with the setup that is on the land yachts I own (A power gear with a pump and two hoses) and save money at the same time by using a similar setup with half the parts.

Anyhow, I hope that the Mustang dedicated don't get too mad at a Cougar guy posting on the 'Stang forum & welcome advice from guys more experienced with this era of chassis.

Have a good one,

Al

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it. I spent about two hours this weekend running, testing clearance and re-routing until I was happy. Now I just have to Teflon tape the ends and tighten and bleed the system. I ended up running the pressure and return line under the lca and up to the pump. Not exactly what I would call ideal, but they aren’t laying against the headers.

I will tell you that I still have no idea what FOMOCO was thinking when they simplified the ps system in their full size cars, but left this setup with double the parts, and double the lines on cars with a LOT less real estate to work around. If I have to do this again, I am either going to retrofit a full size style steering system like my ‘65 Galaxie or a Borgeson system.

Will also probably fashion a skid plate to protect the hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts