Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all I have a 64 ford falcon that my granddad gave me a while back ago. It dont have a motor, and not sure if it has a transmission. it had a 170 in it with the 3speed on the column. It is down at his farm. so i may be going to get it this weekend. i have a few questions. Im 16 years old and was wondering if it would be easier to just put a 170 back in it or go ahead with a 289. My uncle has a wrecked 65 model mustang that i could get that still has the motor and trans. in it. I think the falcon needs new floor plans and alot of other stuff, but me and my granddad will be doing all the work. thanks alot in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
It would obviously be easier to go back stock, that being said if you want some get up and go then the 170 isn't what you want. 289 involves a lot of work like front suspension components and a different rear end. But well worth it in the end!
Good luck!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It would obviously be easier to go back stock, that being said if you want some get up and go then the 170 isn't what you want. 289 involves a lot of work like front suspension components and a different rear end. But well worth it in the end!
Good luck!
Agreed. It's a LOT more than just swapping mounts and engines. Front suspension & steering, brakes, crossmenber, transmission, driveshaft, rearend and list goes on. Unless you had a donor car for parts available you'll be spending LOTS of money and time to do it right. Some will say a lot of the V8 stuff isn't necessary but I'm not one of them. :)

If you really wanted a V8 Falcon I'd start with a V8 Falcon, otherwise find a nice 6 cylinder and drop it in. Have fun with your Granddad and good luck on the build! :tup:

John

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I like my 170 in my 63 Ranchero,but I use it to go to work,and runn around! It's not for high speed runs! But, it gets good mileage! So I'm still having fun!

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
I have 6's & 8's love them all, if uncle will give you the stang, great donor car, but not changing everything is easier, Also CHEAPER to leave it a 6....most of all, enjoy with Grand dad...

6's can be cool....and easy on fuel.....

my 62 Ranchero;

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im going to go with a 170. My granddad said that we could get it bored,stroked, and put a cam in it. i found a 170 for 150 dollars, cheap enough. the reason im going this route is that its easier and i can get some power out of it. I think i want to pair it with a stick shift, instead of using a three on the tree. i just dont like the idea of it. what would be better 4 speed or a 5speed. Ive read on the T5 swap it seems to be fairly easy. Please give me your input on transmissions. thanks again for the help

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Look for my posts on building my 1962 Ranchero,

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/fal...lcon-ranchero-3-speed-5-speed-conversion.html

I am doing 200 CID with the T5.....if you can find a 200 get it....where in the world are you located at.....JW

well im going to go with a 170. My granddad said that we could get it bored,stroked, and put a cam in it. i found a 170 for 150 dollars, cheap enough. the reason im going this route is that its easier and i can get some power out of it. I think i want to pair it with a stick shift, instead of using a three on the tree. i just dont like the idea of it. what would be better 4 speed or a 5speed. Ive read on the T5 swap it seems to be fairly easy. Please give me your input on transmissions. thanks again for the help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Graves County, Kentucky. Ive been looking for a 200 on the local classified websites but all i found is a 170. One that i never heard of he said it was a 223ci. It was out of a 1954 truck it comes with the transmission for 300 dollars

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Graves County, Kentucky. Ive been looking for a 200 on the local classified websites but all i found is a 170. One that i never heard of he said it was a 223ci. It was out of a 1954 truck it comes with the transmission for 300 dollars
Stay with the 170 or 200....223 is old school, not. Drop in motor...Call Dale of the Bluegrass Chapter of the FCA his number is 502-648-9801, he is in Louisville, and may know if Joey or one of the guys has a 6 around.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im not going to even worry about the motor or transmission right now. So im going to get that mustang and go ahead and change the suspension components. If i decidde to go with a V8 i will already have it ready. Now i cant decide on paint. I think i may go with a gray or a blue. Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
where should I get my paint at
I get mine at Wesco Autobody Supply. Wesco is a local to me. You should find the stores that are local to you.

You might also look at Eastwood.com. They have some paint products.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Summit Racing sells paint but, limited to colors. Prices seem reasonable but, don't know the quality. If they have the color you like may be the way to go. In kit form.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
well i think im going with a red with white down the side would you recommend acrylic urethane paint.
I would highly suggest you buy your paint and suppl at your local AB Supply store. Some of what you pay for is their expertise and advise.

Single-stage Acrylic Enamel is OK, especially in a solid color. Takes half the time to paint as Base Clear, your other alternative. SUMMIT and Eastwood paints will be a single-stage AE.

Base clear is a 2-part paint that gives a better sheen and more protection. It's easier to fix eff-ups due to being able to sand and polish the clear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well ive decided that im just going to deal with motor and trans. later when i try to get this mustang from my uncle. if everything is still pretty straight after look at it im using everything i can on it. On paint im thinking two tone ford blue,and white done the sides. Interior ford blue. I know the motor in the mustang was replaced in the late 80's with what im not sure i guess ill find out haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well guys im back but between working two jobs i still havnt been able to go pick up the falcon at my great grandmothers but planning on it next week i have enough money to go pick up this 351w with a transmission for 300 bucks so i may go pick that up next week also.what rear end should i try to get. for this car its going to be a weekend car that i may take to the strip ever so often.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ethanfoy,
Just pulled and sold a 170 and trans out of my 62 Ranchero yesterday for $100.00. Going with a 5.0 roller motor and T-5 5 speed after i get the body cherryed up. Still have some miner floor pan work to do. Then on to the rest of the build.

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
Thomasville NC

1 - 20 of 49 Posts