Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm REALLY the new guy, this is my second attempt to post. Here's my story:

I am looking for a big-block manual trans. '66 fairlane, but they seem to be rare in my area (Texas, should be a big area). There are lots of 289 2v autos around. I prefer a finished car, and I don't care at all about no.s matching. Actually, I prefer mech. upgrades like disk brakes, etc. So my bright idea is to buy one of these finished 289s and have a Ford 351 crate motor and manual transmission installed (poss. T5, any comments?). So, finally, to my question: Am I getting myself into trouble with this genius idea? Are there clearance, accessory, weak link problems? Is there a better way to get me moving fast in a '66? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
66 and later have engine bays wide enuff for most any engine. Infact a lot of 66's came with 390's and a few with 427's. The only problem you might encounter is hood clearance . Check this link they have some parts for those model cars.

http://www.critesrestoration.com/fairlane.htm

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
I read 289/351w is a pretty easy swap. May just need different exhaust manifolds. IDK about the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read 289/351w is a pretty easy swap. May just need different exhaust manifolds. IDK about the transmission.
Your best route would be a small block 289/302/351 as you will have issues with the shock towers if you go with a big block in it. Most likely you would never find the correct factory exhaust manifolds as they were a specific build( and even if you did you would not like the cost) you could use headers on the big block .

After being on the vmf site the last year since I got my 67 mustang vert I've seen some of the guys have up to 460 cubic inch engs based off 351w engs.
I'm 69 and have been fooling with fords since I was 13 although there was a large gap when I did'nt fool with hotrods. If you have the Fairlane or you plan on getting one your money is best spent on a small block unless your luckey enough to find and buy a big block car and even then I don't know how luckey that would be.
I ran a lot of Fe engs as a teenager and gas averaged around 25 cents a gallon ,the Fe Fords would pass just about anything on the road but a gas station . They suck up some gas ,about the only thing worse are the big block mopars.
One other thing I'll throw out there is unless you change to alumn heads & intake that Fe is a lot of weight in the front of that little Fairlane & the back end is almost sure to get away from you

Good luck as you start this endeavor. Don' t listen to an old guy rattling on

·
Registered
683 Posts
I currently have a 351W ( 408 stroker) in my '67 Ranchero and the only tough thing was the headers which I made myself. Now out of PURE stupidity and EGO , I am going to a 545ci 460 stroker which will NOT be so easy.
Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts