Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is a #s matching 390 4 barrel 4 speed car.
It is in pretty good shape.
There is some rust in the back left quarter just behind the wheel and the rear bumper needs to be replaced.
It was a J code paint (Rangoon Red) but now has an absolutely horrible amateur maroon paint job on it that is almost 2 decades old.

I was wondering what you guys thought would be the proper prep work to get the car painted again in the correct color.
Would I need to strip the old paint to bare steel?
What kind of primer would be best prior to color coat?
Wasn't the original paint a single stage enamel or was it 2 stage?
It was originally Rangoon red all over but I wonder if painting the top white would reduce it's restored value in any way.
What might a replacement rear bumper cost?

The car has 72000 miles on it and mechanically there is nothing wrong with it. It does need a rear back seat cover. The stitching has come loose at the top. Any ideas what may be a good source on this? it is a 500 and not a 500XL.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There is some rust in the back left quarter just behind the wheel and the rear bumper needs to be replaced.
It was a J code paint (Rangoon Red) but now has an absolutely horrible amateur maroon paint job on it that is almost 2 decades old.

I was wondering what you guys thought would be the proper prep work to get the car painted again in the correct color.
Would I need to strip the old paint to bare steel?
What kind of primer would be best prior to color coat?
Wasn't the original paint a single stage enamel or was it 2 stage?
It was originally Rangoon red all over but I wonder if painting the top white would reduce it's restored value in any way.

The car has 72000 miles on it and mechanically there is nothing wrong with it. It does need a rear back seat cover. The stitching has come loose at the top. Any ideas what may be a good source on this? it is a 500 and not a 500XL.
Great car, post pictures when you can.

As far as paint, I would personally leave it the original solid color scheme. If the second paint job was poorly done, it will need to be stripped down. I'm not a paint expert, so I wouldn't know what to recommend there.

There is a company that is making replacement rear bumpers, but have no seen them in person. Do some research there, as I think they only recently started being reproduced even though that is a common problem for 64.

Upholstery is readily available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion of looking around for repo bumpers.
There is one that has rust through it on the car and the guy I got the car from gave me one he thought may be good enough to have redone but it looks pretty rough to me.

I'll do some research on the seat covers as well. I have just looked at Dennis Carpenter and MAC's web pages.

There is a guy who did a great set of videos of the body restoration of a 62 Galaxie

Rust Repair Made Easy-1962 Ford Galaxie Part 1 - YouTube

Anyone interested in taking on this kind of work themselves should have a look at it.
I think I may try.

I'll post some pictures when I get it home Friday 12/27/13. It is a Christmas Galaxie I guess.
Merry Christmas to me.
Merry Christmas to all!

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
the rear bumper needs to be replaced.

I got both front and rear from Tamra'z ebay store...
Body Exterior, Underhood Brake items in Tamraz's Parts Discount Warehouse store on eBay!

they get their bumpers from AMD ( autometaldirect.com )
they also have the bumper brackets and backing plates if needed....

rear:
https://www.autometaldirect.com/sto...tedcat=&prod_cat=&desc=64-Galaxie-Rear-Bumper

front:
https://www.autometaldirect.com/sto...=&prod_cat=&desc=64-Ford-Galaxie-Front-Bumper

both shows temporary out of stock on amd web site...
tamra'z still have 3 front bumpers left over....

hopefully amd will produce some more soon....
they are good quality bumpers...
and even if you have a decent core to re-chrome, it will cost you twice of what these bumpers go for...

I also put a couple coats of black rustoleum on the back side of bumpers for added rust protection....

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I see like myself, everyone else is not touching the paint work aspect of his question. I would answer it for you but will get tore to shreds by the other "experts" even though I am highly qualified to do so. Rust work is easy just be sure to get it ALL removed or it will come back. Biggest thing is to have fun doing it, nothing better then the feeling of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Whats "horrible" about the current paint? Flaking? Peeling? Bubbles? Or just runs, tigerstriped metallic, and dirt?
Any of the first 3 problems need taken to metal and problems repaired. If the paint is tight and just looks nasty, correct surface prep and a fresh coat will make it good.

Having said that, any original metal gets taken to bare metal on every collector car I do. Paint costs to much to not know whats underneath and do-overs are expensive, flustrating, and bad for my reputation. There is lots of details to a nice paint job, and thats figured in the price.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks for posting that bumper info. I wrote a post asking about these this past January, because at that time a fellow down in Iowa had started offering them on CL.

So are these as hefty and thick as the originals or? The pic looks good and those boxes they ship in look like they would arrive securely.

Merry Christmas :) Norm

both shows temporary out of stock on amd web site...
tamra'z still have 3 front bumpers left over....

hopefully amd will produce some more soon....
they are good quality bumpers...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Great choice ! :tup:

I can chime in with more specifics once you post some car pics (like how bad is the paint, really. And then the rust, etc).

I've only owned mine a couple years, and I'll say that at first I was wanting to upgrade the 'amateur' paint job on it ...... Glad my gut said wait, drive it, get a feel for it, take it to shows, etc.... Now I hardly notice the areas that at one time bothered me a lot. Sure, having a wonderful Velocity channel caliber paint job (and laser straight body panels) is nice, but then you're shooing away everyone with buttons and belt buckles at shows & meets, cussing out insects for daring to splat on your hood, or any road debris for that matter. There's something relaxing and easy about owning a 'driver', lol.

I hang out with a group that at times will swell to 100 cars at weekly summer meets, out of that maybe 10 have 90-100 point finishes on them, the rest are like mine, or worse.

Anyways, Merry Christmas , what a nice gift! :) Norm

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
So are these as hefty and thick as the originals or? The pic looks good and those boxes they ship in look like they would arrive securely.

Merry Christmas :) Norm
Norm..
I belive they are....
over all they are very good quality...
chrome seem to be good quality as well...

Lol... time will tell........ and at that price, I can live with them....

also I got a new front and rear bumper for what it would cost re-chrome one......;)

i'm very happy with mine....

Merry X-mas...:)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks for all that add'l info Rag! Totally agree with your logic. I'm glad you're happy with 'em. Sounds like what I want. :)

Norm..
I belive they are....
over all they are very good quality...
chrome seem to be good quality as well...

Lol... time will tell........ and at that price, I can live with them....

also I got a new front and rear bumper for what it would cost re-chrome one......;)

i'm very happy with mine....

Merry X-mas...:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the back seat, you might have more options as well if you have a good upholstery guy local. I have taken boat seats that the stitching is bad on and had the upholstery guy restitch. This gets you the ability to use the original fabric for longer. Obviously that means that the rest of the seat looks good and you WANT to keep the original stuff.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention that - it's worked out well for me, and it didn't cost much at all.

Put some pics up when you get a chance. I like to see the cars. :)

Cheers,
Jamie

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I was just looking at a website (Melvins Classic Ford Parts) and they list front and rear bumpers under their "new" products so it appears someone is doing them now. You can give them a call; they are located in the Atlanta area. Pretty decent folks and should be able to answer your questions concerning quality and so on. Here's a link if you want to get more info:

Melvin's Classic Ford Parts

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
When my dad started the search for what what is the late '63 in my sig, the dealer in Cincinnati almost sold him a '64 before they found the Louisville-assembled ride. For whatever reason, the original ordering dealier in Virginia specified a white top and black interior, although my dad was thinking all red when he started the process in the spring of '63. He was glad it came the way it did.

What are your goals? I won't pretend to add more comment about paint though I remember my dad saying ours was covered with the "new acrylics"... 72,000 in nearly 50 years? Wow.

Was yours assembled in Louisville?

Good luck and enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts